PDA

View Full Version : Series III - THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!!!!!!

knac1234
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
All,

Got the Badger alpine headliner in Monday. A few wrinkles but overall really good! Quality product...recommended....especially if a rookie can install it relatively well! My wife, the trooper, and I spent 7 hours or so doing it, including the rails and the sunvisor board.

I also reinstalled all trim panels, rebuilt and reupholstered by moi!!!

Anyway, here are some pics....purists brace yourself.....we had some fun by accenting the trim in a safari motif!!!! But, I made sure to do it in spots that were easily reversible :p

Hopefully, I will be driving it home today from the garage where I have been working on it. Just waiting for seatbelts from RN (Monday) and the upholsterer to return the seat backs so I can properly install the rear bench seats....probably 2 hours of work or less left then!

Oh, a while back some had asked for pics of my center gauge cluster. All pics had to be lightened so are not the best, but the cluster has the oil pressure gauge, altimeter, and then analog clock.

Happy with the outcome of 4 months of nonstop work. Thanks to all who have chimed in with a lot of help! Now to start driving her daily again!

Julian

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4957.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4954-1.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4956.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4953-Copy.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4952-Copy.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4951.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4950.jpg

ThorH
01-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Looks great! Glad it all came together.

albersj51
01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Julian,

It looks great! Did you rhino-line the inside of the tub?

knac1234
01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks....yes, sort of. Used Herculiner (you might have recommended it??). Came out very nice and should be adequate for the odd passenger that ends up on the bench seat or our dogs!!!

Regards,
Julian

canyonero
01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I like the white on the transfer/overdrive levers, real sharp.

SafeAirOne
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Nice job, Julian!

Is that steering wheel cover one of Ike's?

knac1234
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Mark,

Yes.....it is Ike's. I sanded and painted the spokes, filled in one or two cracks, and painted with an adhesion promoter and then Rustoleum Satin Black to match everything. Installed the cover, with some patience, and it looks like new! I highly recommend Ike's cover, even for someone that can't stitch normally!!!

Canyonero-the levers were powdercoated with the rims and other stuff....very close to limestone though appearing white in the pics.

Just remembered one more thing left.....using the PTOUCH machine with black tape and white lettering to replace the VENT lettering that should go on the front vent flap handles!!!!

Julian

albersj51
01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks....yes, sort of. Used Herculiner (you might have recommended it??). Came out very nice and should be adequate for the odd passenger that ends up on the bench seat or our dogs!!!

Regards,
Julian

I may have. :)

I am using it on the tub floor, but I keep thinking about the entire inside of the tub. Got any pics of that? I'd love to see how it turned out. I plan on using the back for my dogs, so it seems like a good solution.

Thanks,

Jason

knac1234
01-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Jason--Will get some later this weekend for you!

So, fired it up (first turn of the key), and, as during my test drives around the property, it ran great. However, as I headed down the road towards the highway, all of a sudden I just lost power and it died.

At this point, there was still a bit of daylight. My first thought was maybe the accelerator pedal came loose, as it was removed for powdercoating....NO, the linkage was moving just fine at the carb using the pedal. It wanted to start, and by feathering the pedal it would run barely. So, I believe it to not be an ignition/electrical issue but a fuel starvation issue.

Had to wait 2 hours (now 20 degrees and cold and dark out!!!) for a tow a whole 1/4 mile (AAA is invaluable).

Please comment on the following thoughts I have, again assuming it is fuel starvation, and any other ideas you might have!!

-Check to be sure the fuel hoses are not kinked
-The tank is properly vented (further confirmed when I removed the gas cap and there was no pressure released to be heard)
-Check jets in the carb and the fuel lines for maybe crap blocking it
-Maybe the mechanical fuel pump has died.....install my new generic electrical pump (should be correct pressure as it was bought as a backup for my MGB)
-Before work today, I tried starting it.....same issue....wanted to but would barely run if at all.....so the engine was not flooded as might have been possible last night from countless tries to start it and pressing the gas pedal

ADDITIONALLY, I have a coolant leak. Coolant had lightly sprayed onto the underside of the hood, but pooled where the picture indicates near the tstat housing.

-I have extra top and bottom tstat housing gaskets.....when I reassembled it, should I have used gasket sealer/permotex on it??? Can't imagine where else it would be coming from in that location and may remove and reinstall with new gaskets again, but with permotex??
-Car ran and drove (and cooled) great before my 4 month project. The changes made were: radiator rodded out (even though no cooling issue before); all new hoses and clamps; new heater core and installed new correct metal and rubber piping for the heating system and the heater valve; water pump has not been changed or removed during the process

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/RESTO%20SEQ/100_4961.jpg

Thanks all....kind of deflating to get so far, but not drive very far! On the positive side, 3 people tried to buy the truck off me when I was broken down.....that says something for the work I did ;)

Julian

TedW
01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Julian:

Will the truck run with the gas cap off? Sounds like a classic vent issue to my untrained ear. Be sure to drill a small hole on the inside center of the gas cap - first layer of metal only! That will do the trick (if, it really is a vent issue).

Ted

knac1234
01-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Ted,

No, same symptoms with the cap on or off. I thought the same thing to begin with!!! All emissions are removed from the truck (before I bought it)....the tank is vented with an overflow tube. I know it's not the safest, but more than adequate to vent, but tried the gas cap idea anyway. The overflow tube theory was stock on my Imp, so I figured it's fine for the Rover!

Thanks!
Julian

keithg
01-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Julian, What size gauges did you use for the center housing? I'm about to add a few to mine and I think the dash pod is already set up for 2" gauges.

The truck looks great!

bmohan55
01-06-2012, 09:22 AM
It ran well off the road but died on the road...maybe you put too much of the safari motif on her!;)

do you have a fuel filter by the carb and is it full of fuel, if not maybe the pick up tube in the tank is clogged?

BTW, great looking truck!

gambrinus
01-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Pull the fuel line supply from the carb. Have someone crank the engine.. if it's pumping fuel, you can rule that out. Check for junk in your sediment bowl. Also 1/4 mile is about how far you'll get just off what's in the carb bowl.. make sure things are good there. Only change/adjust one thing at a time or you'll be chasing your tail. This is a good project to buy some beers and invite some friends over. ;)

keithg
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I've had the diaphragm in the fuel pump so out after sitting for awhile in my other rides. If it dried out and then you put gas to it again, it could have split. The electric pump should test that theory....

knac1234
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Gambrinus--Unfortunately, don't know many people about....especially that want to come over and play Rover! BUT, great idea. I will disconnect the fuel line at the carb and try cranking it (will put the line in a jam jar....if there is fuel in it, then that's that). I did clean out the sediment bowl when the pump was off during all the work I did (and replaced the filter and sealing ring), but another idea to check easily.

Bmohan--Another great idea that I would not have thought of....the pick up line. No fuel filter (never was....but am going to add one now). I felt like I was on a mountain safari....bunch of deer walked by while I was stranded!!!!

Keithg--I forgot the size of the gauges. You should have the oil pressure gauge in the same location on your 73 I think....the other 2 holes in the cluster are the same size as it. I was thinking the diaphragm also in the mech. pump.....rigging up the electric won't take long. May leave it in place, as it may help a bit with vapor lock I used to get.

Thanks!

Julian

PS Any thoughts on the coolant leak??!! Tstat housing a good bet and redoing it with the permatex??

SafeAirOne
01-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I was thinking that the fuel bowl was being depleted too. I'd check how much fuel is in the bowl on the carb when it quits.

knac1234
01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Mark,

For the rookie here, would something other than the items already noted cause an indequate amount of fuel in the fuel bowl?? I think the float controls the level of fuel in there, which was not altered at all during the course of my work.

Thanks!
Julian

Terrys
01-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Ice? i.e. frozen in bowl, blocking jet, line, filters........

siii8873
01-06-2012, 11:08 AM
a bad coil can fool you. On an old cub I have it would run for about 15 mins and then die and then have the symptoms your noting. Replaced the coil and all was fine. I'd check fuel flow as noted but not totally rule out an electrical problem.

knac1234
01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Bob,

Good point....happen to have plenty of coils floating about....will keep it in mind.

Julian

SafeAirOne
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Mark,

For the rookie here, would something other than the items already noted cause an indequate amount of fuel in the fuel bowl??

A bit of gunk blocking the inlet valve on the bowl could restrict flow into the bowl. The fuel pump test could confirm that you're getting fuel up to the bowl at least.

I don't use a carb, so I don't know if the ones that mate up to the 2.25 have a finger strainer on the carb's fuel inlet (that might be plugged) or not.

I presume that you had this carb up and running on the rover before the overhaul so I won't offer up a misadjusted float in the bowl as a possible cause.

knac1234
01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks Mark,

Yes, it ran great prior and did nothing to the carb. Will keep an eye on this thread and update it at the end of the weekend (hopefully with good news!). I will have to do the tstat housing tomorrow so that the gasket maker can dry overnight prior to me firing her up again.

Julian

bkreutz
01-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Another thing to think about is the condenser if you still have a conventional ignition in it. I've seen a bad condenser exhibit the exact conditions you describe. I've also come to the conclusion that most of the replacement condensers available today are of questionable quality so I've put Pertronix systems in all my cars with points ignition.

luckyjoe
01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Also check the compression fittings at the fuel pump lines. If they are even slightly loose you could be sucking air and not getting pump prime. THey you just ran-out the fuel in the carb bowl...

milhouse
01-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I hope this doesn't come across as an insult, but in the name of checking everything... you are sure you have enough fuel in the gas tank, right?

Beautiful job on the Rover!

knac1234
01-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Dale--Good thought, but have a pertronix already :thumb-up:

Luckyjoe & milhouse--Will check the fittings....possible. Gas....no offense....it's the easy stuff that trip you up, but there were a couple gallons in the tank plus I put a couple more in before that quarter mile. Thanks for the comments on the truck!

Heading over to the shop now for round 1!!

Julian

knac1234
01-07-2012, 04:56 PM
All,

Thanks for the help.....the fuel problem is solved.

To make a long story short, I first checked to make sure the fuel lines were not kinked in any way; verified the sediment bowl was clean (and it had fuel in it); turned the truck over with the fuel line in the jam jar.....fuel dispersed, so the pump was OK. At that point, pulled the top off the Weber carb, and saw a lot of sediment in the fuel bowl. Cleaned it out, pulled the jets out and cleaned them, then installed an additional inline fuel filter prior to restarting.

Ran great.....got it up to 60mph on a back road for a test :eek: Forunately/unfortunately, that pesky coolant leak showed up....was able to get back to the garage....it is (pretty sure) not at the tstat triangular housing part, but on the side part of that same housing. I also think the (new) stainless bolt broke in the housing making it loose. So, anyway, I THINK success might be on tomorrow's horizon!!

Julian

SafeAirOne
01-07-2012, 04:58 PM
:thumb-up:..

yorker
01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
All,

Thanks for the help.....the fuel problem is solved.

To make a long story short, I first checked to make sure the fuel lines were not kinked in any way; verified the sediment bowl was clean (and it had fuel in it); turned the truck over with the fuel line in the jam jar.....fuel dispersed, so the pump was OK. At that point, pulled the top off the Weber carb, and saw a lot of sediment in the fuel bowl. Cleaned it out, pulled the jets out and cleaned them, then installed an additional inline fuel filter prior to restarting.

What kind of a fuel filter are you using? Is your tank pretty old? This might end up being a re-occuring problem.

knac1234
01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Well, the coolant leak was indeed in the tstat area. Yesterday, I put another set of new gaskets there, but this time used permatex high temp gasket maker between all gaskets/faces. Let it dry 24 hours, and refilled with coolant this afternoon. Flawless 15 mile drive home :thumb-up:

No issues with the fuel either. Yorker....all I know is the tank was cleaned 2 years ago, so hopefully the symptoms don't come back. If so, a tank is not a big deal.

Here it is back home, and it fit into my crazy garage winter config setup just fine. You can see in bay 1, the Imp sideways-with 2 MGs behind it, and the Rover in bay 2 with the ATV against the wall......5 vehicles, a plow blade, and a grader in a 2 car garage....now that's a use of space!!!!!

Julian

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/100_4964aa.jpg

LaneRover
01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
That is a VERY good use of space!

I like what you have filled it with too!

SafeAirOne
01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
You can see in bay 1, the Imp sideways-with 2 MGs behind it, and the Rover in bay 2 with the ATV against the wall......5 vehicles, a plow blade, and a grader in a 2 car garage

Presuming you're married, you must have a VERY understanding spouse!

TedW
01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Julian:

What is that white stuff on the ground? I've got nothing but green grass out front............ send some this way!

Ted

knac1234
01-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Ted.....we're lean out here too. That's leftover from a foot or so we got 2 weeks ago.

Mark....yes, married....very understanding and the best :thumb-up: She knew what she was getting into!! The MGs existed before the marriage, but the Imp (did not blink an eye at me trying to ship a car on a boat from the UK) and the Rover came after. She loves the cars, just not the working on them part! Heck, our honeymoon involved driving the MGBGT 3000 miles up the coastline from LA to Washington!

Julian