PDA

View Full Version : Series alternator question

slorocco
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I have an early IIA that was converted to an alternator before I purchased it. Well, it finally bailed on me on Saturday at an offroad event near Winchester, VA. So here's my question. Does any one know of a bolt in replacement part number available at AutoZone/NAPA/Advance Auto etc... The reason I ask is, I spent several hours at three different stores to find on that was close to what I had in my hand. Even then I had to make some mods with an angle grinder to make it fit. Just curious for the next time this happens.

leafsprung
05-02-2007, 04:10 PM
As you probably know there are several companies producing alternators. Its difficult to tell what you have and what will fit without a photo.

jp-
05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
A great question. I have never taken the time to look, but I would bet that there is a similar Lucas alternator that was used on Triumphs or the like. None of the Auto stores that I frequent, have any older Land Rover listings. Only some Range Rover models. Although, the alternator should be circa 1980 at least.

Anyone know what alternators were used on the early Range Rovers?

greenmeanie
05-02-2007, 06:04 PM
From the UK forums I think the OEM LR alternator was a LUCAS 16ACR. This is a bit of a heap as it only produces about 34 amps so don't expect to add anything other than the basic electrical system. IIRC is an internally regulated single wire unit.

THere are a lot of aftermarket conversions available in the US usually based on AC delco products which allow replacement at almost any automotive shop in the country. My '71a SIIA uses a rather odd 55amp AC Delco with an external mechanical regulator. I think this was sold by Atlantic British some time in the dark distant past. Parts are cheap but it is probably not the best.

My preference would be for an AC Delco 10SI but some fab work is required to fit it to the series engine. Leafsprung will no doubt chime in here. This unit is a 3 wire unit producing 63amps on up and can literally be bought anywhere for very little. Check out
http://www.madelectrical.com/
for some useful insight into charge systems.

Cheers
Gregor

msggunny
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Check this out: http://www.bayourovers.com/trick12.html

Pangolin makes brackets for it too, or you can make your own.

jp-
05-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Man, you guys are making me feel bad. I bought the correct Lucas alternator. Maybe I should have gone with a Delco.

gudjeon
05-03-2007, 11:32 AM
If you look at the clicky you will see a pic of a delco alternator:

http://groups.msn.com/TheSeriesOneGarage/fromgudjeonsdungeon.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3862

I rescued this unit from the scrapheap. It was from an 80's Pontiac Acadian/Chevette (Yea, I destroyed a classic:p ). Its rated for 70amp and a complete kit for rebuild is only $35CAN. To make it line up, grind some off the front of the large mounting ear. Then have abolt fabbed to go straight through the original mounting point on the block. Make up a hollow dowel to take up the extra room in between mounting holes on the block as well. The bracket is from the same car and welded with an extension to mount in the Landy. No other fancy bracketry required. Wire in as per Bayou Rover web instructions and presto.

I found that the correct fitting fanbelt is a '98 Dodge Neon power steering belt.

Hope this can help\

Jon

slorocco
05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
My preference would be for an AC Delco 10SI but some fab work is required to fit it to the series engine. Leafsprung will no doubt chime in here. This unit is a 3 wire unit producing 63amps on up and can literally be bought anywhere for very little. Check out
http://www.madelectrical.com/
for some useful insight into charge systems.

Cheers
Gregor

That sounds like what I bought. I had to modify the lower pivot mount on the alternator so it would fit over the stock bracket. It took about 10 minutes with an angle grinder.

bamarover
05-04-2007, 09:46 PM
We used a Delco 12 SI 3 wire. It mounts up without a lot of trouble. Had to use some spacers cut to the corect length to get position correct. The key is to get the correct position of the built-in regulator so the wires don't end up against the engine. They come in the 3, 6, 9 o'clock position. I can't tell you which to get because the parts store did not know what they gave me (wrong one the first time around:D ), but you want it on the opposite side from the LOWER mounting flange hole, if that makes sense. HTH
Greg

a109
05-05-2007, 08:31 AM
We used a Delco 12 SI 3 wire. It mounts up without a lot of trouble. Had to use some spacers cut to the corect length to get position correct. The key is to get the correct position of the built-in regulator so the wires don't end up against the engine. They come in the 3, 6, 9 o'clock position. I can't tell you which to get because the parts store did not know what they gave me (wrong one the first time around:D ), but you want it on the opposite side from the LOWER mounting flange hole, if that makes sense. HTH
Greg

These can be adjusted pretty easily if you happen to get the wrong one.

John

a109
05-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Man, you guys are making me feel bad. I bought the correct Lucas alternator. Maybe I should have gone with a Delco.

Don't feel bad, the 16acr is a decent little unit but of low output. It works well for a series with no electrical add ons.

John

bamarover
05-05-2007, 08:32 PM
The guys at the parts store said I could turn it, I asked them to do it for me. When they did, they let it open too much while turning to the correct position and out came the brush springs. :mad: They just gave me another one. I had no experience, but I might sould do it now.
Greg

badvibes
05-06-2007, 02:23 AM
Maybe you've already fixed the problem but I used the Delco 10SI, part # 334-2113. It puts out 63 amps. I actually had to do a generator to alt conversion. Had to fab some new brackets but it was all pretty straight forward. Another Delco alt that should work is #321-250, 12SI, which puts out 78 amps. It is nice knowing that I can probably find this part on the shelf if/when I need one.

Been reading this site for a few weeks now, first time posting. This neophyte is willing to learn.

a109
05-06-2007, 12:07 PM
The guys at the parts store said I could turn it, I asked them to do it for me. When they did, they let it open too much while turning to the correct position and out came the brush springs. :mad: They just gave me another one. I had no experience, but I might sould do it now.
Greg

If this happens the brushes can be retained against the springs with a straight piece of wire through holes provided in the case. The wire is then removed after assembly. Its part of the unit assembly procedure.
John

Donnie
05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
A Delco 10si, with an internal regulator will bolt up with out a lot of hassle. If the wires are not in the location that works for you, just remove the 4 bolts that connect the two housings and tap it loose DO NOT spread the housings more than enough to get the position that you need. Jimco is the company that makes a 2 wire connection harness for this application. one wire to the battery and one to an Ign source, Any alt. shop should be able to sell you the Jimco connector. Donnie

slorocco
05-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the part numbers. I'll keep them on hand for the next time.

Maybe you've already fixed the problem but I used the Delco 10SI, part # 334-2113. It puts out 63 amps. I actually had to do a generator to alt conversion. Had to fab some new brackets but it was all pretty straight forward. Another Delco alt that should work is #321-250, 12SI, which puts out 78 amps. It is nice knowing that I can probably find this part on the shelf if/when I need one.

Been reading this site for a few weeks now, first time posting. This neophyte is willing to learn.