PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead Education needed

garycox
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I am new here. I have been hanging out here and learning about Series trucks while searching for a new project.

I am relatively comfortable with most things mechanical. My ideal project would be a very original truck that just needs repairs and attention. I think I would be comfortable with a frame swap if need be (if the replacements available are accurate and most components fit as they should). I do not have experience with major fabrication or body work. I do not feel comfortable making nonfitting panels/doors, etc look proper. If its just a shim here or there then I am good but I cannot fabricate or re-engineer major poorly fitting components.

My question is should I even consider vehicles with bulkhead rust? I saw where east coast rover jig rebuilds bulkheads. Would that then be a bolt in replacement? What are your experiences with this type of thing. If I just had to have a truck and it turned out to need bulkhead repair or replacement could I ever expect to get it back together with a proper fit of the doors, windscreen, etc and looking as it should.

I understand the answer depends on ones abilities and some can make chicken salad out of chicken s*** but some of the real world experiences in this area might be helpful to know what exactly to look for.

Thanks in advance

Gary

SafeAirOne
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
These trucks aren't precision assemblies. Most of the vehicle was a somewhat loose fit on the assembly line with gaps taken up between the body/bulkhead and the longitudinal mounts welded to the chassis using shims like these all over the place:

http://www.lrseries.com/resources/user/c9d83ff045f7611133f6da730ab2c584465ec165/305232-BODY-FIXINGS-SHIM-SPACER.jpg

deezgunz
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I would purchase a running truck and drive/work on it while you enjoy it. These trucks are pretty much like a modular tonka trucks. With the manuals and the invaluable help of people on the boards I was able to replace a rear seal, full clutch overhaul to include hydraulics. I'm in the middle of a rewiring job now and feel comfortable doing it. As for body/bulkhead repair/removal of I've been blessed with a pretty decent frame and bulkhead so some minor patching is all I have have to do. The doors on most series rovers I have seen do not line up and there are gaps all over mine. This is the nature of the series rovers. The ECR post on bulkhead repair is awesome and there are plenty of footwells etc. our host sells. If you buy a project be patient! I have been close to selling mine about 3 x's. I walked away from it for awhile and went back to it with vigor to complete the project.