PDA

View Full Version : washing seat belts?

milhouse
01-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Today my significant other and I spent most of the afternoon cleaning and scrubbing the inside of our new-to-us 88. Unfortunately it has been sitting for the last 8-10 years and quite a few rodents had made a home inside the Rover and it was absolutely disgusting... we actually still need to scrub some more, hopefully tomorrow. Anyways, the seat belts are covered in "junk" and I was wondering if there is a good way to clean them, even soak them in some cleaner and/or disinfectant, but I'm concerned with damaging and weakening the belts. Have any of you cleaned your seat belts?

Thanks!

~Neil

artpeck
01-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Same situation. After detaching them I used a mild solution of laundry detergent and scrubbed then let them soak in it. A couple of cycles and they were quite clean and no sign in any way of deterioration. I would not use a solvent based cleaner however. Hope that helps.

gambrinus
01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Plain old Pinesol is like magic on anything nylon.

keithg
01-09-2012, 07:48 AM
These guys do seat belt restorations but I think they may sell a solution for you to use to scrub them with. I use Simple Green to clean most interior pieces.

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc