PDA

View Full Version : Series III exhaust hangars

mongoswede
01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I have a 73 Series III I have been slowly resurecting and before I put the tub back on I need to install the brake lines and finish hanging the exhaust. The exhaust is all bolted in place but I do not see any obvious holes or brackets for hangar locations. I vaguely remember there being one on the tail pipe and I assume there is another around the center cross member. I have looked at the drawing on RN's parts page and I can make some guesses about how to set it up. Curious if anyone has some pictures of the mounts. The truck is a bit of a mut now because it has a series IIA frame with Series III components.

Also, any recommendations on running the brake lines? I see the RN brake line kit is just a bunch of line coils needing to be bent to the appropriate shape. I can easily buy a spool of my own line and fittings....or is it a lot easier to buy as many of the prebent bits? opinions and thoughts appreciated.

SafeAirOne
01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
88 or 109?

As for brake lines, I'd just get a coil of CuNiFER line (NAPA) and do my own using the Federal Hill fittings and rented flaring tool.

mongoswede
01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
88 or 109?

As for brake lines, I'd just get a coil of CuNiFER line (NAPA) and do my own using the Federal Hill fittings and rented flaring tool.

masonater
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x478/masonater84/P1000350.jpg

Not the best picture but if you look to the lower left you can see the tailpipe sticking out and the bracket mounted to the frame outrigger (clamp was not on yet) This is a 1970 109 IIa ex mod, not sure if yours will have that outrigger because mine used to be an ambulance. There is another bracket that attaches to the muffler and one more clamp on left side of transmission (i think)

For brake lines, i was in your boat not too long ago and for very little money i made all brake and clutch lines myself. I got a double and bubble flaring kit, a roll of 3/16 off amazon (25 feet i think, used it all) and a bunch of fittings from a local brake store. I used string and tape to roughly figure out where i wanted my lines then bent away. I even powder coated all of them for the heck of it.
hope that helps some

masonater
01-10-2012, 01:38 PM
ahh an 88, i was too slow

ThorH
01-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Here you go! My '73 is RHD. Not sure if the LHD are the same or not.

jac04
01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Another overall shot showing the hanger locations.

mongoswede
01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the posts...this is very helpful:

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5734&d=1326290636

Your rear axle is entirely too clean and shiny :) . What is the paint on that? I always thought if I were going to go nuts I would paint the axles a Marine green. I dislike black as it is just so hard to see stuff when working on them or looking for leaks...though I understand it is the appropriate color for a full true restoration.

jac04
01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
What is the paint on that?
I used RustOleum semi-gloss black.