PDA

View Full Version : Stickler for originality

jcutler
01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
What color were the wheels painted on a '59 SII? Seems like on most trucks they are painted limestone, but I seem to have read, and maybe seen archival pictures, that they are painted body color on the early series II. What's the truth?

Also, is the original BSC101 Sky Blue engine paint available anywhere? I understand that the Detroit Diesel Alpine Green is close, but if available I'd use the actual original...

Help is much appreciated,
Joel

albersj51
01-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I THINK the wheels would be body color in your case. For engine color, try Dunsfold in the UK. You may also find some on ebay.co.uk.

leafsprung
01-10-2012, 06:40 PM
different markets sometimes had different color schemes. Most trucks here in the US had contrasting wheels on SII. However, most bronze green series twos had body colored wheels in the US. The engine paint isnt available AFAIK youll need to have it mixed up.

Momo
01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah, you can't get the engine paint (Duck Egg Blue/Sky Blue) in the US... but you can get 500ml tins of it out of the UK- try Ebay. However, Rustoleum was making a very close match called "Glacier Blue" #241236.

But I could not find it anywhere when I needed some recently... not even Walmart. I called Rustoleum and unfortunately, it's been discontinued.
However,they have probably 40 cases left (6 cans per case) so if you want some, call them.

Here's how it looks on the motor:

Momo
01-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Also, it seems the body color wheels were for certain colors only- Poppy Red, Limestone, Mid Grey, Bronze Green, RAF Blue. I've never seen a Pastel Green truck or Marine Blue with original body color wheels.

BobJones
01-12-2012, 12:06 AM
My 59 SerII was originally pastel green, and the wheels were limestone.

jcutler
01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Nice engine. And thanks for the info - I'll see if I can get a can of the sky blue, and maybe I'll try the Rustoleum. Apparently Amazon has it: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-241236-Enamels-Glacier-12-Ounce/dp/B0010OFF82 . But Rustoleum isn't heat resistant is it? And how close is close?

BobJones, your input is perfect. If you got your truck new that's my answer. I'm using pastel green...

kwd509
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
My father bought a pastel green 2a, 1964. As w bob jones, The wheels were limestone. (After being abandoned for 32 years, it now sits in my barn. To my delight and trepidation.)

Momo
01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
jcutler, it is as close as you can get I think with an off the shelf brand. You could also contact Tower Paint in Wisconsin www.apstowerpaint.com and have them mix a few cans of Sky Blue for you. Not cheap but an alternative to consider.

I've had good luck with Rustoleum standing up to heat. They have a tech question number to call if you are interested.

TedW
01-15-2012, 01:58 PM
jcutler, it is as close as you can get I think with an off the shelf brand. You could also contact Tower Paint in Wisconsin www.apstowerpaint.com and have them mix a few cans of Sky Blue for you. Not cheap but an alternative to consider.

FWIW I am a huge Tower Paint fan. I recently repainted my 88 with pastel green custom mix rattle cans from them - I ended up ordering the paint in about 4 different batches of DuPont Centari. All the batches matched each other (and the original finish) spot on. They are good.

jcutler
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone! DAP has some paint that is based on the original formula, but it's a 500 cc can - probably enough for a fleet! I'll check with Tower to see what they can offer.

TedW
01-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I just realized it was you, Joel!

Anything to help another ex-Bangor boy. I look forward to seeing you again at the British Invasion.

Ted Woodward

SafeAirOne
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone! DAP has some paint that is based on the original formula, but it's a 500 cc can - probably enough for a fleet! I'll check with Tower to see what they can offer.

500cc is only a pint.

Well, I guess that IS a bit much for 2 coats on an engine if you're spraying it, but probably about right if you're brushing it on.

Momo
01-15-2012, 11:04 PM
500cc is only a pint.

But it sounds like much more if you say "that's half a liter"!:D

jcutler
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
True, but 500 of anything sounds like a lot. Especially if it costs $65!

And Ted, never a "former" Bangor boy. You can take the boy out of Bangor, but ....

TedW
01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Joel:

Another plug for Tower: They specialize in auto paint, especially for antiques and classics. I suspect that they can recommend a paint specifically for the block and mix it up for you. The trick will be to find the appropriate color code that they can either use or cross-reference.

jcutler
01-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I tried Tower. They responded very quickly, but came up blank (and I think I found the code for what LR called "sky blue" - BSC101). I'm going to try the stuff from DAP - if I only use half I'll make someone a good deal on what's left...

singingcamel
01-18-2012, 07:19 AM
I ues the detroit diesel green. I have some pics on my site.. www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

bmohan55
01-18-2012, 08:37 AM
I ues the detroit diesel green. I have some pics on my site.. www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

me too, two cans of it will do.