PDA

View Full Version : New Strange Noise

Jim-ME
05-03-2007, 07:36 AM
My Series Rover has developed a new strange noise. It sounds like a power steering pump that is whining. Since I don't have power steering I know it can't be that. I have removed the fan belt to eliminate alternator and water pump bearings and the noise is still there. It seems to do it more after it warms up and I generally hear it at lower RMPs but the engine noise could just be drowning it out. If it is of any help my Rover is equipped with an oil cooler and I have just added a fan shroud since it didn't have one when I got it. It would seem to me that it can't be the fan shroud since the noise continues after the fan belt is removed even though it seemed to have started after I put it on. Oil pressure is good as is water temp. Any suggestions on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

jp-
05-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Have you checked the power steering pump?

Leslie
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Have you checked the power steering pump?

:sly:

:p

Bostonian1976
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
my heated seats make this noise when they're switched on :D

sorry I have no clue but my new FJ Cruiser also makes this noise and it drives me nuts

scott
05-03-2007, 12:40 PM
is it just me, or does owning a series have a multiplying affect on our sarcastic tendencies? i guess i should have bought mine before getting married. 20+ years has condition me to not hear new strange noise so i don't hear 'em when my truck makes 'em.

are you eliminating things with bearings because it sounds like a whining-about-to-die-bearing? when i do think i hear something i take my big mombo screwdriver, place the handle against my ear and the other end on varies spots to find the source. it's an easy way to pin point a sound source.

Mercedesrover
05-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Your description sounds like a hydrolic whine.
Maybe oil pushing past a thermatic bypass valve for the cooler or simply a restriction in the oil cooling system?
Could be cavitation in the oil system too....Is it low on oil?

jim

luckyjoe
05-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Jim,

The noise comes from the relief valve at the entrance of the oil cooler - at a certain flow it will resonate (i.e. squeal!). Mine typically only does it in a nose-down-coming-to-a-complete-stop situation. This has been confirmed many times on the UK message boards.

Don't be too concerned, just make sure the oil level is full...

<edited to say, "man, Mercedesrover hit it right on the head - good call Jim Y!>

Regards,

Tom P.

jp-
05-03-2007, 01:39 PM
my heated seats make this noise when they're switched on

My heated seats aren't making any noise. I'll have to get that looked at.

jp-
05-03-2007, 01:45 PM
is it just me, or does owning a series have a multiplying affect on our sarcastic tendencies?

It's just you.

LaneRover
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Once when driving across country my 65 developed a whine at idle that went away when I was on the gas. I assumed that the alternator was going. It finally lost all power heading on to a highway in Oregon - which really helped me decide to camp in that town for the night. The next day, after switching out the alternator the whine was still there.

It ended up being a loose carburetor. When the gas pedal was pushed it closed up the gap, at idle there was just enough of a gap to produce the whine.

Probably not that but one never knows....

Lanerover

"Say what you will about the Ten Commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them."

H. L. Mencken

scott
05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
It's just you.

if i weren't already crying over spilled hydrolic fluid, that would have set me crying :(

Jim-ME
05-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I am beginning to believe that it is the relief valve in the oil cooler. My oil level is full. I did drop the pan and change the gasket so I might have some cavitation as well. It comes and goes so I'll keep an eye on things. I will replace the lines and clean it out well when I install a new breakfast this summer. Thanks for the replies.
Jim

Tim Smith
05-04-2007, 08:19 AM
I am beginning to believe that it is the relief valve in the oil cooler...
Jim-ME, does it sound like an angry pig? Sort of a 'oink oink' sound? If so then I'd agree with MercedesRover. It's the pressure relief valve for your oil cooler.

It can be a bit embarrassing at stop lights :o but otherwise nothing to worry about.

Jim-ME
05-04-2007, 01:14 PM
The only way I can really describe it, is that it sounds like a power steering pump that is very tired and cranked all the way to the left or the right. More or a whine than a rattle (which I have been told is a bad bearing). I will add the the sound comes from the front by the oil cooler not further back in the engine compartment. Yes, it sure does draw attention at stop lights but I can live with it if it is essentially nothing to worry about.
Jim

Tim Smith
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Hmm, mabye I should take a second look under the hood again.
:p

hughwilton
05-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with the oil cooler valve as being the problem. The noise is also known as the "military groan". On my truck the noise goes away when the oil is clean returns as it gets dirtier.

luckyjoe
05-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Jim-ME,

From all the info you've posted - it is the relief valve at the entrance of the oil cooler:
http://severebrainfailure.no-ip.com/site/landy/ambi/engine_conversion/16-4-05/slides/P1010855.JPG

My only question is if this is simply a whine due to the valve/set-up, or if it is directly related to oil level and/or air in the system.

Regards,

Tom P.

Jim-ME
05-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I believe it is due to the setup not due to low oil level or air in the system. My oil level is between H and L on the dipstick and no where near min. I'm not sure how to bleed the cooler other than remove the sump side of the cooler. I will do that shortly to eliminate any possibility of air. Thanks for the reply.
Jim