PDA

View Full Version : Remounting Manifolds

jonnyc
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I will soon be reattaching my manifolds to their 2.25 gas motor. Curious if either way is better:

1. Attach the exh and int together before mounting to the head.

2. Mount the exh first and then the int.

mongoswede
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I will soon be reattaching my manifolds to their 2.25 gas motor. Curious if either way is better:

1. Attach the exh and int together before mounting to the head.

2. Mount the exh first and then the int.

Last time I had the assembly off a rover engine I pulled everything apart, cleaned everything up, and reassembled the two manifolds off of the truck. I put the combined unit back onto the engine together.

knac1234
01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Agreed. Just did this, and that is the way to go!

Julian

jonnyc
01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
OK. I was thinking it might be easier as two lighter pieces.
Thanks.

Lance
01-11-2012, 07:56 PM
I did mine together also but I left the four nuts that connect the two a little loose until the manifolds were tight then tightened the four nuts.

Terrys
01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I've done this job many times and always replaced the two manifolds as a single unit. However, the two bolts, with winged keepers, are a bitch to get in blind. So last time I did the job, I put the exhaust manifold on, but left it loose, and out about a 1/4"( far enough for the intake to clear the locating dowels). Then I put the two bolts and keepers in, and slide the intake down on the 4 studs, pushed the whole assembly in and tightened everything up. If I have to do any more of these, that's how I'll do them in the future.

jonnyc
01-11-2012, 08:36 PM
That sound like what was rolling around in my head. I was thinking that rear keeper was going to be a problem. Last time I had the manifolds off was when I had the head off, and I replaced the head with the manis already on.