PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: 1984 Series III Land Rover 109 Santana Cazorla 6 Cyl Diesel

andersnd
01-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Greetings from the Netherlands. I am an ex-pat living abroad and have the opportunity to purchase the above referenced vehicle which was recently driven to the Netherlands from Spain. She is very original, in great shape with low miles. I've researched the major differences between this truck and her English series III counterparts - some differences in regards to styling and amenities, but in my estimation, not overly concerning. The engine, however, is 100% Santana and I don't know how much, if anything, crosses over to rover counterpart engines. Ability to get parts, therefor, and have her serviced, is a major concern. I love the truck and would love to take advantage of the opportunity to buy her and bring her back to Massachusetts, but I need to think about my ability to maintain and service her. The engine has seemingly received favorable reviews in the literature I've read, but I need to think long term.

ANY advice or insight on this would be appreciated. I am investigating overseas parts distributors to find sources - Britpart, etc. - but if anyone has traveled this path before I would love your thoughts ASAP.

D. Anderson

cedryck
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Dont' think I have ever seen a 6cyl diesel in person, up close. would love to see a picture of that.

bkreutz
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
You need to find a buddy in Spain so he can send you parts.:D

Les Parker
01-13-2012, 08:16 AM
I have only ever seen one of the 6 cyl. Santan Deisels in person.
At the Dealership I worked at in UK they had a F.C. Santana 2000 all steel body pick up. Engine was crisp and responsive. A shame that Landrover UK never picked it up for production in UK.
It has the same principal as the 6 cyl. petrol engine, slap 2 cylinders onto the Series I 2.0 Block, they made the 2.25 block 2 pots longer !

Sharing some pix would be kinda nice....

andersnd
01-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I've attached some pictures - more to come

andersnd
01-13-2012, 09:52 AM
more photos

andersnd
01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
last two photos

albersj51
01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
ooooooo....nice truck!

SafeAirOne
01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
It has the same principal as the 6 cyl. petrol engine, slap 2 cylinders onto the Series I 2.0 Block, they made the 2.25 block 2 pots longer !

Wow. You weren't kidding!:

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5752&d=1326470026

Terrys
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Unless you are expecting this truck to be your only vehicle, i.e., daily, I'd say go for it. I love things out of the norm, and would be willing to wait if I had to have something shipped.
Nice to know your neighbor won't have one.

andersnd
01-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I saw the Cazorla today, will drive it in a week after the current owner has it insured here in the Netherlands. I want the truck - now it is a matter of being comfortable with the test drive, and then of course the small matter of negotiating the price.

In a word, the truck is beautiful. The prior owner in Spain apparently purchased it from the Spanish Air Force in 2002 and it had approx 50,000 kms on the odom. Ten years later, it has 57,000, which includes the nearly 2,000 kms that the present owner put on the truck driving it from Madrid to the Netherlands. Prior owner in Spain resprayed it Conniston Green, upgraded some interior stuff, had the gear box rebuilt and a bunch of other cosmetic stuff, but from the appearance and condition of the drab grey/blue floor panels, rear tub and other body pieces, it is just obvious that this truck was lightly used and remains very original.

I'll also try to post a video I took of the engine starting and running - the 6 cyl diesel sounds great. It was such a tease to be all over the truck, starting it, listening to it, but not being able to drive it. I will need to wait a week for that.

I'm think that I am starting to get more comfortable with the parts situation - found a guy in a Spanish Rover Club via email that appears to know everything about Santanas, be it Ligeros, Cazorlas, etc., and he said that there is a lot of cross over to 2.5 liter rover parts and almost complete cross over on body parts - of course gaskets and other things unique to the 6 cyl are another matter, but he said that are definitely sources for parts. If there are ever issues with the doors, that could be a problem as these doors have roll-down windows. The dash and instrument panel is really unlike anything I've ever seen.

There are many more and better trained eyes then mine on this board - PLEASE be critical here and point out anything that you think could be problematic or troublesome. I still have plenty of time to dig and do more research!

Thanks again in advance for everyone's thoughts.

andersnd
01-14-2012, 04:24 PM
More Pics

andersnd
01-14-2012, 04:26 PM
more pics

andersnd
01-14-2012, 04:34 PM
additional pics

andersnd
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Final Pics

andersnd
01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziM991XX4_A&feature=youtu.be

Terrys
01-14-2012, 09:21 PM
From all appearances, 110 doors should fit w/o problems.