PDA

View Full Version : Starter Not Engaging

willincalgary
01-16-2012, 10:26 PM
It got cold here. My starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. Is it safe to assume that the cold has made the starter cog not slide on the shaft? Is this easy to fix?

Terrys
01-17-2012, 07:09 AM
The cause is as you suspected.It's as easy to fix as pulling the starter and cleaning the shaft, if you consider that easy.
It's sad to say, but the likely root cause is your rear main seal is leaking.

bmohan55
01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
The cause is as you suspected.It's as easy to fix as pulling the starter and cleaning the shaft, if you consider that easy.

X2^

I was able to pull the starter out enough to expose the shaft (to wiggly it out past the downpipe and totally remove is a PITA) and spray some cleaner on it. Kept it working for a couple of months until it gumed up agian.

willincalgary
01-17-2012, 06:26 PM

I suspect the main seal leaked before I had the engine rebuilt. Only became an issue when the temperature went below -27C. I will try the carb cleaner approach. I noticed in the green bible there is no mention of lubricant. Is it supposed to be just clean and dry?

I can not move it into the garage until the weather warms a bit and the starter starts engaging again. I guess no Rover for me until next week.

siii8873
01-17-2012, 06:39 PM
use the crank

willincalgary
01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
use the crank

Alas I do not have one! I could bump it with my van though.

Terrys
01-18-2012, 05:15 AM
X2^

I was able to pull the starter out enough to expose the shaft (to wiggly it out past the downpipe and totally remove is a PITA) and spray some cleaner on it. Kept it working for a couple of months until it gumed up agian.

If you turn your steering wheel fully to the right, there is plenty of room for the starter to drop right out.When you have the nuts off, pull the starter out and up,Then drop the bendix down. Goes in in the same manner.