PDA

View Full Version : possible disco purchase got some questions..

englandseries
01-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Hello all,
Long time rover owner here, I am looking at a 98 disco and a 98 lse... one with 150 on the clock and the other with 132 my questions are what to look for as far as failure items.... my classic has problems unique to the brand and did not want to miss anything on this rigs, I will be doing a leak down test with a block kit doubt they will let me do a comp test( both dealer cars) I will look for rust in the usual spots check everything i can was wondering about proper operation on the diff lock( how to test) read something about the flex coupler.. how do i inspect that... and also how are these 4.0 motors how long do they last etc... I do not have any service history on this trucks but will look in the oil fill with a bright light to try to see what color( think its good if a light tan... bad if its dark black .. right??
Any tips and advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Greg

rdsrover
01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Check the oil levels in the diff and hub. They often leak and if not topped up, can run dry and lead to uneven wear / and or axel breaking. Does the truck pull to the side when you are going down the road and simply let go of the accelerator?

1996trek4
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Same truck... D1 is a RRC with different roof cap and skin, recognize the doors and windshield? The chassis? In designing the Discovery the team had to use a RRC and certain main elements to build off of to keep costs down. They are the same animal. I have 205K on my 98 LSE and it's been a great truck and I would rather have the LSE than a lesser LE, SE,SD ect. There was a huge difference in price when new, but not so much used and you get a lot of great stuff absent on the other trucks. Best addition is the better seats that do not peel and flake like the SE does. Mine still look great. You can spot a 98 LSE by the body colored bumper caps, mirrors and grille. Aluminum finish door handles and chrome bumpers. They are the highest spec Discovery ever built and the last of them for the 50th Anniversary. most LSE will be 7 passenger and have rear a/c too.