PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack & RTT for SIII?

REDrum
01-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Hola,

I've been searching for pictures and discussion on Roof Top Tents for Series 88 and can't find much, near nothing. Is doing so some sort of Landy taboo?

I'm considering some sort of flat full length rack (i.e. Front Runner) with a 1400 series EZ Awn.

Someone has to have have done it and has some photos they could share?

Ncrover725
01-21-2012, 07:43 AM
I am looking at doing the same to my 11a 109 in support of a trip from florida to Belize. The forums on the expedition portal site have some guys who are pretty smart on all this stuff. They also have some used stuff for sale. Good luck with everything!

I Leak Oil
01-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Old news but you might get something from it.....
http://drivetheglobe.com/vintageroversacrossafrica/

The series hard tops don't hold up well with large roof weight and rough driving surfaces with the tradtional gutter mount roof rack. They tend to want to crack as proven in the trip sighted above.

I'm not a fan of racks or RTT's on a series truck but expedition portal is a good source for info. Just be aware, you will have to dig through lots of opinion based info to find hard facts though.

REDrum
01-21-2012, 01:03 PM
The series hard tops don't hold up well with large roof weight and rough driving surfaces with the tradtional gutter mount roof rack. They tend to want to crack as proven in the trip sighted above.

Thanks, this is the type of info I was looking for, and was afraid of... I suspect that why I stumbled across a few photos of exterior cages on 88s.

SafeAirOne
01-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks, this is the type of info I was looking for, and was afraid of...

If you're not planniing to WAAAAAY overload the racks and drive EXTREME off-road for several weeks, then I wouldn't sweat it too much. 99% of us will never use our Series Rovers in ways that will ever cause damage with a roof rack.

TeriAnn
01-21-2012, 03:52 PM
The forums on the expedition portal site have some guys who are pretty smart on all this stuff.

But they are mostly not in the Land Rover section of the expo site. There tends to be a lot of vocal armchair self proclaimed experts in that section.

I agree with the previous posting saying the tops are not rugged enough for heavy loads off road. I've never seen a factory spec for a series truck though. I do know that people with loaded roof racks attached to the gutter over the front doors sometimes break windscreen glass from the off road flexing. That's why the better roof racks have long front legs that attach to the windscreen mounts on the top of the bulkhead. To minimize weight on the windscreen.

One thing that people have not mentioned yet is what it will do to your centre of gravity. Those tents are not light weight nor is a full length steel roof rack strong enough to handle a roof rack. Series trucks tend to be tippy even without a roof rack. But it is a judgement call depending on how much off roading you will be doing and what you are willing to put up with. Just get a weight for a tent before you buy.

If it were me and I didn't have the Dormobile, I'd look into a roof rack with a side mounted awning that has a detachable wall. Not as much weight on the roof, roomier, more versatile and no accidents if nature calls in the middle of the night. You can buy fold up cot to allow you to sleep off the ground and an air mattress and be cozy for the night.

msggunny
01-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Put one of these up there if your not worried about room.

http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/

If your looking into "expedition" stuff, i would think that lighter is better. Even if your not carrying it on your back. Thats just me though.

I would be more than happy with one of these, the wife may not be so much though.....

I have this for my solo outings: http://www.iguanallc.com/BedNet/DOD_BedNet.html

As long as its not arctic cold, and I use a poncho to keep rain off.

TeriAnn
01-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Anther thought is to keep the weight down inside the truck while you are driving.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/P4250023.JPG

Add a roof rack, a sheet of plywood and just pitch a light weight tent on the plywood. Store the tent down below. You keep the weight down while traveling and have a tent on the roof. Probably way lighter than a roof top tent.

I Leak Oil
01-22-2012, 05:35 AM
If you're not planniing to WAAAAAY overload the racks and drive EXTREME off-road for several weeks, then I wouldn't sweat it too much. 99% of us will never use our Series Rovers in ways that will ever cause damage with a roof rack.

Agreed Mark, but I'd also add that 99% of the 99% don't really "need" a rack at all. Nothing wrong with having one but by the time you add a somewhat heavy RTT and all the other stuff up top they can get heavy and can contribute to damage.

badvibes
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm no expert or ExPo whiz trekker. Just a guy who uses a RTT once or twice a year, longest was a 10 day stretch. I don't wheel my truck hard in these instances, more of a base camp situation.

Top heavy? Yeah you feel the weight up there, @ 125 lbs, but not too tippy feeling. More of a wind drag issue. A Rover has the aerodynamics of a brick. The RTT makes it like 2 bricks stacked atop each other.

I use Thule cross bars with the super high foot mounts. No problems so far but I only keep the RTT up there when I need it. I like the ability to remove the tent and store it in my garage when not in use. 2 guys can remove or install the RTT in 5 minutes.

I really like the room inside the RTT. I added an extra foam pad, really comfy. If I'm tenting it for a week or more it works well for me and my 50 year old back. Yeah a bit of inconvenience to climb in and out but I'll put up with that for the comfort.

This year I am going back to Utah to do the Hole in the Rock Trail. Will have my full top switched to a pick up cab I've purchased. I'm going to figure out a system to mount the RTT no higher than the cab which will have the advantage that I can park the Rover in my garage with the tent on it. As it is now it's way too tall for the garage. The switch to a pick up cab is just cause I like the idea and want too. For everything I've done so far the full top has worked fine with the set up I have.

Just some feed back from a RTT user, not an expert, YMMV.

http://i41.tinypic.com/15nx1na.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/znq8te.jpg

greenmeanie
01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Never mind this RTT stuff. I want to see your kitchen. That looks fun.

For accomodation I just carry a dome tent. It takes 5 mintues to set up and I'm done. It probably doesn't help with your design but it keeps the whole camping with the truck thing as simple and minimalist as I can make it.

badvibes
01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Been haulin' that all over creation for more than 20 years. Built it with a specific goal in mind. If I'm car camping I wanted a self contained, all inclusive kitchen. Stove, utensils, pots and pans, yadda yadda. There have been times here at home that I've run out of something and I just step into the garage and pop open the camp box and get what I need. Saves a trip to the store.

Had a couple of friends over for dinner one time. Terrilynn likes to cook with wood utensils. All I have in the kitchen is stainless steel so I say hang on a minute and go in the garage. I have wood stuff in the camp box. But before I go back in the house I hook up my circular saw and grab a big hammer. I run the saw off and on a few times and bang my workbench loudly with the hammer. My friends inside the house can hear this. A moment later I step back inside and hold up the wooden spoon desired and say "will this do?" Got a pretty good laugh.....

badvibes
01-22-2012, 07:39 PM
For accomodation I just carry a dome tent. It takes 5 mintues to set up and I'm done. It probably doesn't help with your design but it keeps the whole camping with the truck thing as simple and minimalist as I can make it.

I agree that's the way to roll sometimes.....

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qa5jl0.jpg

I Leak Oil
01-23-2012, 04:42 AM
I agree that's the way to roll sometimes.....

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qa5jl0.jpg

And conversly there are times I would have given up a body part for an RTT or a rack to get my tent off the ground!

stomper
01-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Sort of like this weekend in Vermont

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320670_2044403755525_1407325325_3306968_908959675_ n.jpg

LR Max
01-23-2012, 07:48 AM
I talked with a friend this weekend who has a RTT on the back of his Unimog. From what I can tell, if you can, test setup one BEFORE buying it. He was telling me about all the little setup tricks and if you don't do them correctly, it could have a problem if it rains (something about getting the poles just right).

The nice thing is that its up there, its quick to setup and take down, and all your sleeping gear is simply there. This weekend at the event I attended, it POURED DOWN RAIN. I'm talking 100% miserable. The wipers on the 109 could barely keep up. The RTT guys were happy because a lake didn't form under their tents. Of course I wouldn't know because I went for the day :p.

badvibes, that is the setup I want. But I see what you did there, basically you have megakitchen, a simple tent and some chairs. Doesn't look like it broke the bank either!

I Leak Oil
01-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Sort of like this weekend in Vermont

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320670_2044403755525_1407325325_3306968_908959675_ n.jpg

Exactly!!!! We must not have been thinking straight at that point, there's no tarp in that picture yet!

badvibes
01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
And conversly there are times I would have given up a body part for an RTT or a rack to get my tent off the ground!

It's nice to have options. :D

LR Max-

Yeah I'm very value oriented, ah I'll be honest. I'm a cheap a**. I can have fun and be comfortable without the highest $ gear. I covet some of it sometimes, like the Defenders that the 2 guys were driving on last weekends trail ride.....

TeriAnn
01-23-2012, 08:31 AM
This weekend at the event I attended, it POURED DOWN RAIN. I'm talking 100% miserable. The wipers on the 109 could barely keep up. The RTT guys were happy because a lake didn't form under their tents.

I always thought that the folks with roof top tents were really roughing it. Especially when they get out of their trucks to set things up or go between meals and sleeping.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/Moj073Dormies.jpg
Home is where you pop the top

I can go from driving to camp set up, music playing, glass of wine poured, a salad made and dinner started inside of 5 minutes. Rain, snow or sunshine.

73series88
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
my rack isnt heavy at all but its not crap either.
id love a rtt but i need a new frame first.
teriAnn you should have that made into a bumper sticker.
aaron

CMorris
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
REDrum,
Roof top tent is the way to go IMO. Ease of use, dry, VERY comfortable, quick to set up. I used one on my old 109, got it up onto the RN Brownchurch rack myself for mounting (wouldn't recommend that but had no choice at the time, weight is around 100lbs as I recall). I took the whole set up through Newfoundland then up and across the Trans Labrador. I had the tent, 10 gallons of extra fuel, a hi-lift, and some misc. recovery equipment on the roof rack, everything else was tucked in the back of the 109 down low. No poor handling or top heavy feel (except for one bonehead move on my part), and no damage to the truck.........and it truly took a beating.

luckyjoe
01-23-2012, 10:46 AM
73series88,

What rack is that - a 88" Brownschurch from our host?

73series88
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
i bought it off of ebay
300 bucks
all galvy
and it was only 15 minutes from the house.
i love ebay
aaron

REDrum
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Roof top tent is the way to go IMO. Ease of use, dry, VERY comfortable, quick to set up

All big plus's to me. I like the option of unfolding over the hood, leave rear open for more stuff.

Will need new roof rack first, I only have a 1/2 rack now. I like the Thule option. Despite roof racks being strictly ornamental to many, for us its a much utilized feature. Its amazing how much luggage people arrive at the airport with...

Thanks for all the great feedback

LR Max
01-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I like the Thule option.

I'm beginning to feel like a set of Thule bars for a RTT is the way to go, especially since I don't plan on running around all the time with a RTT bolted to my roof.