PDA

View Full Version : Jumping the Fairey ship

I Leak Oil
01-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Bought my Fairey OD new back in 94' but now it's probably time for it's second rebuild. I want to get rid of the permanent ringing in my ears so I've bought a low mileage Roverdrive to replace my semi-faithful Fairey.

My question is...for those who have also made the switch, does the hole in the side of the tranny tunnel line up or will I need to put a new hole in it for roverdrive lever? Any chance I can keep the Fairey bracket and mount the Roverdrive bell crank and lever to it?

Any info is appreciated.

Alk-3
01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
I was able to reuse the bracket. the hole in the tunnel also lined up perfectly. The one thing I did lose is the parking break… this still bothers me, and I intend to modify the cross bar that the break handle attaches to. it's a pain, and wish I had known about this earlier… I don't hear others complain about this though, so it may not happen to everyone, depending on how your engine and trans is mounted I suppose.

I Leak Oil
01-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I've heard about the parking brake issue but it doesn't seem to happen to everyone. Who knows, maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones!

siiirhd88
01-21-2012, 07:04 PM
If you can't get the clearance for the cross shaft, you could use a RHD parking brake handle and linkage as it doesn't use the cross shaft. You would need to lean across to use the brake, and it gives the passenger something to grab onto....

Bob

'02 DII SD
'02 DII SE Kalahari
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

Sputnicker
01-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I had the interference on my early- style parking brake linkage (60 Series 2). I put a slight bend in the cross shaft (about 3/4") to clear the Roverdrive housing. The cross shaft pivots only a few degrees on spherical bronze bushings, so there is no harm in bending it. It has worked fine since I installed it a couple of years ago. I'm very pleased with the Roverdrive.

willincalgary
01-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I've heard about the parking brake issue but it doesn't seem to happen to everyone. Who knows, maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones!

I installed mine three weeks ago and had no interference with the cross shaft whatsoever. Ray suggested the condition of your engine mounts may influence the severity of the issue. Mine were new and the thing bolted straight in no problem.

Alk-3
01-22-2012, 08:15 AM
in your experience, would it make sense that if the engine mounts were worn but the trans mounts were new, this might leave the trans end higher and thus cause this issue? I know the previous owner replaced the trans mounts, but I don't know about the engine mounts. It would be nice if that was the fix for this issue.

willincalgary
01-22-2012, 08:57 AM
in your experience, would it make sense that if the engine mounts were worn but the trans mounts were new, this might leave the trans end higher and thus cause this issue? I know the previous owner replaced the trans mounts, but I don't know about the engine mounts. It would be nice if that was the fix for this issue.

Both the engine and transmission mounts are new on mine. I didn't even remove the cross shaft to do the installation. I have the early style setup on my '59.