PDA

View Full Version : The joys of a Series Land Rover...

Nanoose
01-21-2012, 06:01 PM
We finally had some snow here on Vancouver Island. Not a ton but enough that schools closed and people completely forgot how to drive. Of course, I had an absolute blast puttering around in 4WD feeling safe, secure and somewhat smug.

But as I set off for work I realized that I had a problem. I'd warmed the Landy up for a bit. Heaters were working fine. I'd scraped the snow off windows, lights and roof but I couldn't seem to keep the windows from fogging up! After a mile or so I got out, wiped off the windshield with an almost clean rag, made sure my wiper was clean then used a second rag to dry the inside of the windshield.

Hopped back in and went another mile before I had to pull over again. I figured it must be a blocked defroster tube but I felt warm(ish) air blowing through so I was stumped. Hopped back out, re-wiped in and out then set off again.

As I sat at a light the solution became apparent as another cars lights lit up the interior...the seal between my roof and windscreen is a bit dodgy and since the snow was quite light it was blowing through and landing on my glasses. The truck was't fogging up...I was. Duh.

In my defense, it was early, dark and I was not yet properly caffeinated...

Skookumchuck
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
We finally had some snow here on Vancouver Island. Not a ton but enough that schools closed and people completely forgot how to drive. Of course, I had an absolute blast puttering around in 4WD feeling safe, secure and somewhat smug.

But as I set off for work I realized that I had a problem. I'd warmed the Landy up for a bit. Heaters were working fine. I'd scraped the snow off windows, lights and roof but I couldn't seem to keep the windows from fogging up! After a mile or so I got out, wiped off the windshield with an almost clean rag, made sure my wiper was clean then used a second rag to dry the inside of the windshield.

Hopped back in and went another mile before I had to pull over again. I figured it must be a blocked defroster tube but I felt warm(ish) air blowing through so I was stumped. Hopped back out, re-wiped in and out then set off again.

As I sat at a light the solution became apparent as another cars lights lit up the interior...the seal between my roof and windscreen is a bit dodgy and since the snow was quite light it was blowing through and landing on my glasses. The truck was't fogging up...I was. Duh.

In my defense, it was early, dark and I was not yet properly caffeinated...

My wife got to ride in the back seat with the daughter as we were taking our Son to the Airport in Kallispell MT. She was getting upset as the snow was coming in one of the safari roof vents and she had a stiff breeze coming in from the top of the door. I was trying to tell here it was just part of the ambiance of owning a Series Land Rover and was to be cherished and warmly embraced. She didn't quite agree with my statement and made me duct tape the places where the air was leaking in.

LR Max
01-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Yeah, its miserable raining here. I wussed out and drove my 1997 sedan. The door seals on it work very well. It should be nice tomorrow, probably will throw the bike in the back of the 109 and drive it.

east high
01-23-2012, 08:46 AM
I refer to it as "communing with nature".

73series88
01-23-2012, 09:19 AM
if i wanted to drive something better i would.
you get the " is that guy nuts" look all the time.
maybe i am?
aaron

LR Max
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
if i wanted to drive something better i would.
you get the " is that guy nuts" look all the time.
maybe i am?
aaron

I love that reaction. This weekend I was driving back. Got my work gloves on, hat on, sunglasses on, smoking a mighty fine cigar.

The guys in the minivans appear to be jealous.

Les Parker
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Reminds of the time about 10 years ago, driving my 109" Soft top to work at RN in late January (temps. in the single digits) snowing, dark, heater working well. I hit a pothole with the RHF tyre, causing the remaining ice on the soft top to break loose, taking with it the front part of the soft top with it.
I do not think I have been that cold EVER. It took about 1 hour huddled next to the heater to de-ice myself.
Thankfully RN had a new soft top in stock, so I was soemewhat warmer on the way home.

:eek:

Nanoose
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Les, I laughed out loud reading your post!

D

RoverDover
01-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I do not think I have been that cold EVER. It took about 1 hour huddled next to the heater to de-ice myself.

:eek:

Lack of ’’insulation’’ is your biggest problem, Les. I suggest a more ’’North American’’ diet.

My Korean Econo-box has major electrical problems right now. After 2 weeks of sitting in minus 20 degree celcius weather, I put the battery charger on the 90 for 20 minutes and RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT the little 2.5 diesel fired up and has been getting me around all week in style (and mittens)...Until the military hood latch broke a spring this morning and I had to wire the bonnet down. You have to love a truck that you can fix with hand tools, Not a computer.

Les Parker
01-25-2012, 08:59 AM
I guess I mus tbe getting older.... parked the desiel 90 for winter and I am now driving the 97 DI 5 speed.
I've just fitted a new stat to it when I removed the old one (not fitted by me), I found that the wax/plastic jigglepin had disappeared and the hole was at the bottom!
Now jigglepin (maybe it should be called the giggle pin?) is secure and in its correct place at the top.
Wow, I had to turn the heat down on the way home, a first for me in ANY Rover in January.

:)