PDA

View Full Version : When is dry rot dangerous.

Tim Smith
05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Okay, so looking through the shed yesterday and found a set of BFG tires mounted on their rims way back in the corner and still holding air. The tires are kind of old and are showing signs of dry rot. I bought them second hand about 8 years ago.

There is plenty of tread on them but between the lugs there are a lot of hairline fractures in the rubber. Any idea if they might be unsafe?

Years ago I was told that pirelli tires tend to rot from the inside out so if you see dry rot then they are automatically unsafe. Does any one know if this is true with BFGs?

Cheers!

scott
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
when you're doing 60 mph! i bought my series from a guy in ar, asked him to deliver it a friend in mo to hold until i could retrieve. flew up there and checked it out. it sounded good looked good, except for the not very worn but lots of little cracks on the sidewalls of the tires, michelin xc4. about 11pm east of tulsa heading to albuquerque front left lost pressure, instantly. the holes in the sidewall were big enough to put you fist in.

Tim Smith
05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah, thats what has me worried. Having a flat (or tire separate) on the freeway has me more than just a little concerned in an 88. I wouldn't mind using them on the trails but usually there is a highway in between the trails and home. :(

scott
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
i'd ride 'em in the dirt if i didn't have to drive to far or fast to get there, had a spare (and yes jeff, a jack) and beer

jp-
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
If you can peel rubber chunks off the sidewall with your fingers, it's probably unsafe. Also, if you are going to run old rubber, use them only on the rear tires. A front tire blowout is a lot less fun than a rear tire. Although, a rear tire blowout in a corner could put you upside down in a ditch. Run at your own risk.

jac04
05-05-2007, 06:55 PM
This doesn't exactly answer the originsl question, but here is some good info on tire storage:

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf