• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knac1234
    4th Gear
    • Nov 2010

US Source for DUM DUM putty?

All,

I need another tin to finish up a small bit on my Rover. Really liked working with the stuff, so I do want to say with this particular item.

Are there any sources in the US for Dum Dum putty? I bought 2 tins from Paddock's last summer, but it is now NLA. Come to find out, manufacturing ceased late last year!!!!

It is almost impossible to find in the UK, and I only located a source due to some helpful chaps through the Hillman Imp club over there!

Before I pay an arm and a leg for some of the last stock on the planet, thought I'd ask!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in the supplier in the UK, I will pass the info along after I buy a couple of tins He claims to have stock that will last him for another 2 weeks or so!

Cheers,
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp
  • Shearpin
    Low Range
    • Nov 2006

Julian

Not sure if this is the stuff you are looking for - I've found it at Napa Auto Parts in the US and Canada. Black tacky stuff useful for insulating things, window channel, I've but it on large washers to waterproof bolts...

Comment

• luckyjoe
      3rd Gear
      • Oct 2006

This is what you want:

Tom P.
      1965 exMoD 109
      1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Comment

• lincoln lass
        Low Range
        • Jan 2012

Not sure if the link will work, but try this site in the UK.

Regards Brian

Comment

• Terrys
          Overdrive
          • May 2007

I like that 3M caulk, and use it everywhere.
          Julian, Dum Dum is the same as marine bedding compound, wich you can get in any marine supply store.

Comment

• knac1234
            4th Gear
            • Nov 2010

All,

Thanks for the input. Seemed so hard to find that my nerves got the best of me and I ordered one tin only. Pricey, but a 1.5 kg tin should last me forever too!

luckyjoe--I used that very stuff for certain areas like the pedal box mounting, etc... Good stuff, but not the same consistency as dum dum (can't spread it with your fingers or the plastic tool I have).

shearpin--Used that also for my rear door window, etc... also a very good item!

Brian--that's the stuff! I got it in the larger tin (better value) from the other guy I found though. Thanks! Turns out the guy I bought it from lives 10 miles from where my Mum just moved to in Cornwall....small world!

Terry--should have waited for you to chime in Next time I'm near a shop like that, will take a look around.

Julian
            Julian
            72 Series III NAS
            03 Disco
            04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
            2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
            65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
            71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Comment

• lrdukdog
              3rd Gear
              • Nov 2006

this it?

Is this the stuff?
              Jim Wolf

Comment

• Terrys
                Overdrive
                • May 2007

I don't know Jim. I used Petits. Some of them are a little more 'fluid' than others. I usually have some out in the shop, as I also do boats.

Comment

• disco2hse
                  4th Gear
                  • Jul 2010

Dum Dum is not that good. It dries out over time and cracks, leading to leaks and the requirement to replace it. At the time it was used it was generally available but I would not use that as a reason for continuing to use it.

Instead I have found the black Sika windscreen sealer to be far more effective both for its adhesive qualities, its ability to retain flexibility, and its durability. The Sika products are used extensively in the maritime industries here.

Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
                  2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

Working...