PDA

View Full Version : Top and Wheel Colors

osajaj
01-25-2012, 07:49 AM
I am sure I am beating a dead horse and this has been discussed before, but...... I have a 1962 Marine Blue Series 2a 88. Currently it has a white top and marine blue 15" wheels. What I am looking for is the correct top and wheel color combination. I am changing the rims and want to make sure I paint them the right color. So instead of just painting them white to match the existing top, i would rather paint the top as well to make it right. Thoughts and ideas??? Thanks for the help.

rover_chump
01-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Usually, the hard top and roadwheels were painted Limestone. (the off white, light beige color)
Dupont code # 38505A
(keep in mind...the color on the top is 40+ years old... so it has
faded over time and fresh Limestone looks more beige... so if you want
a lighter color, just ask the paint mixer to put in a bit more white when
mixing it for you.)
Peace,
Art

TeriAnn
01-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Usually, the hard top and roadwheels were painted Limestone. (the off white, light beige color)

Which is the case for SIIA & III models that were not station wagons.

Station wagon models had the top body coloured and any sun shield was limestone. SIIA & III models had limestone wheels.

Most SII models had body coloured wheels for most markets. Depending upon the market and original body colour, the SII wheels might have originally been body coloured or limestone.

So if your truck is a late SII and not a station wagon then your current colour scheme is correct.

rover_chump
01-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for clarification TeriAnn, I should have stated that if the Land Rover was a "hardtop" (with a liftgate) then the roofsides were Limestone.
Good point on the SW paint scheme.

rwollschlager
01-25-2012, 11:42 AM
here is his truck currently (the little blue one ;) )
it is a hard top, and does have jump seats in the back, but I do not know if its a station wagon or not as it does not have alpine windows and it has the fixed oval windows in the roof sides instead of the sliding rectangular ones.
-Rob

osajaj
01-26-2012, 07:53 AM
I am going to assume wheels and top were originally limestone. It does have a rear hatch and lift gate. And Rob, yes its the "little" blue one...but she will stand a little taller when I get the 32s on her.

milhouse
01-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Station wagon models had the top body coloured and any sun shield was limestone. SIIA & III models had limestone wheels.

TeriAnn, I was surprised to hear this... to the best of my knowledge my 1974 88" is completely original and is a station wagon (sliding glass windows, bench seats, and full rear door) that has both the top and wheels painted limestone. The interior of the top is painted limestone as well, so at least that top has never been a different body color. Based on how the seals look and the use the vehicle has seen, I highly doubt the top has ever been removed or swapped as well.

yorker
01-26-2012, 10:31 AM
TeriAnn, I was surprised to hear this... to the best of my knowledge my 1974 88" is completely original and is a station wagon (sliding glass windows, bench seats, and full rear door) that has both the top and wheels painted limestone. .

Your truck isn't a station wagon. No alpine windows, no individual jump seats, no tropical top. Also since it is a Series III it should have the wheels and roof/sides all limestone.

stomper
01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
If you really aren't sure if it is a Station Wagon, just google for a Land Rover VIN number id search. All shall be revealed.

Because these trucks are so old, and modular in design, you can have everything that would make a truck a station wagon, but the VIN of a non station wagon vehicle. Unless you are into concourse restoration, paint it how you think it looks best.

milhouse
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Your truck isn't a station wagon. No alpine windows, no individual jump seats, no tropical top.

Yorker, thanks for the clarification! I learn something (or multiple things) new about the old land rovers every day!

jumpmaster54
01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
What is the powder coat code for limestone? Thanks.

Stan

osajaj
01-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Ok so I think Im going to go limestone. If anyone objects or other ideas shout them out

TeriAnn
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM
What is the powder coat code for limestone? Thanks.

A very close match to Limestone is powder code # RAL 1015.

jumpmaster54
01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks Teriann

Kiloengineer
01-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I just had my wheels powder coated with RAL 1015 that I read on TeriAnn's website, they came out great.