PDA

View Full Version : starter question

andrew
01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi folks,
I have a 1970 SIIA with a failed stock starter and solenoid on the firewall. I purchased a replacement starter from our hosts: a PowerLite hi-torque unit (seen here: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-18116-starter-motor-4-6-petrol-hi-torque.aspx).
I don't want to rewire things any more than I have to, so want to keep the solenoid on the bulkhead. The PowerLite has an integral solenoid, but also in the fitting instructions says that you can simply hook up the power to the starter stud terminal and leave the link wire (between stud terminal and integrated solenoid) attached and all will be well. The claim is that the bulkhead solenoid would still be operational (presumably, the integrated one in the starter would be bypassed now?).
Any experience with this? Can it be so simple? Can I just hook it up like a non-solenoid starter (while leaving the connection between the starter stud terminal and the starter's own solenoid attached) and I'm good to go?
Thanks in advance.

SafeAirOne
01-27-2012, 10:49 AM
If by "the power" you mean the thick wire that used to send juice to the old starter from the existing solenoid when the key was turned to the start position, then yes, it's as simple as that.

andrew
01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, I mean hooking up the thick power wire from the solenoid on the bulkhead directly to the starter stud terminal.

Terrys
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
What Mark said.

keithg
01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I recently did the same repair and it's a quick process and the new starter is a big improvement.

knac1234
01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Andrew,

Same experience. Got a hi torque starter from Britishstarters and I too wanted to keep the solenoid I had. Simple bypass wire on the starter itself. Then connect the power from the solenoid to the starter and you are good to go! Make sure you have a good ground (I actually grounded the starter direct to the battery)!

Works a treat!
Julian

Terrys
01-27-2012, 09:21 PM
While I agree the instructions make electrical sense, I'm not so sure it is practical to continue to use the old solenoid, for the sake of originality. The new starer still needs the integral solenoid to throw the bendix, so why energize two coils when one will do the job?

andrew
01-28-2012, 01:34 AM
The honest answer to your question is because I don't know how to wire the setup properly if I eliminate the firewall solenoid. Hooking up the new starter while keeping the firewall solenoid, however, seems about as simple as it could be.

If it's do-able, and it's somehow better to do it that way (getting rid of the original solenoid), I'd love to learn. But if it's not better, then I'll go with simple and easily do-able.

scatterling
01-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Andrew,

Same experience. Got a hi torque starter from Britishstarters and I too wanted to keep the solenoid I had. Simple bypass wire on the starter itself. Then connect the power from the solenoid to the starter and you are good to go! Make sure you have a good ground (I actually grounded the starter direct to the battery)!

Works a treat!
Julian

Same starter in my 109 build. Bypass the solenoid on the starter. Simple.

antichrist
01-28-2012, 09:44 AM
The honest answer to your question is because I don't know how to wire the setup properly if I eliminate the firewall solenoid.A new heavy gauge (#2 or #1 welding cable) straight from the battery to the main feed stud on the starter.
Something like 'C' here:
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/rover_driver/RoverParts/Electrical/Cables.jpg