PDA

View Full Version : Charge light on

bob7088
05-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I just finished replacing a hub oil seal in my 1970 88" Series 2A. When I went for a test drive, there was no problem with the seal, but my charge light is now glowing brightly and doesn't get brighter or dimmer regardless of engine speed This has been a good vehicle electrically speaking, unitl this-no problems whatsoever. So my question is this-how do I isolate the problem to either the generator or voltage regulator? Battery appears to be OK at 12.15 volts steady. And is it possible I distubed a ground wire when I was changing out the right rear hub seal?

And if it matters, the truck sat for about 2 weeks until I got the oil seal repaired.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

a109
05-06-2007, 12:14 PM
There's no connection between the the seal replacement on the charge light problem. It is simply that you have/had two problems at the same time.

It might not be a regulator problem. Try giving the generator a sharp rap with a hammer. The brushes have a habit of sticking when they have some age and the rap could loosen them. If this does remedy the problem you'll soon need to have the generator serviced.
John

bob7088
05-06-2007, 01:21 PM
John-

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I figured it out just now. The wire to the temp sensor was frayed at the connector. I guess it was shorting out the gauge itself-maybe that explains why the light stayed on and didn't brighten or dim. I changed out the connector and the charge light is out, but does coming on just at startup per usual. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I hope I never have to replace the generator. How the heck do you get to the bottom bolt?

jp-
05-07-2007, 08:11 AM
There's no connection between the the seal replacement on the charge light problem. John

I beg to differ. There is a connection, all British cars share it.

Fix one thing, and something else breaks.

a109
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
John-

Oh, and I hope I never have to replace the generator. How the heck do you get to the bottom bolt?

From underneath.
It you think thats a bit daunting look at some of the modern vehicles :mad:
John

sayers
05-09-2007, 06:24 PM
On the same page, when the truck is in idle the charge light should come on, right ? and when you give it the gas the light goes off, is this correct. thanks for the help.

Tim Smith
05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
On the same page, when the truck is in idle the charge light should come on, right ? and when you give it the gas the light goes off, is this correct. thanks for the help.

Thats the way mine works. But I like keeping a real low idle speed which could be causing some of it.

It's a beautiful thing when you can barely hear the engine at idle. :)

Jeff Aronson
05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I still have a generator on one of my '66 II-A's. As the brushes wore on that unit, the generator light would come on when the car idled; I, too, set the idle at a low rpm. Once I accelerated, the light would go off and the amp gauge would indicate a charge.

When I had to rebuild the generator by putting in new brushes, the light does not come on at idle, only when the key is turne to "on."

As for removing the generator, oh, boy. There were two nuts on a threaded rod that had to be removed. Both had been on the car too long without anyone taking the time to move the nuts. If there was ever any anti-seize lathered on, it was not evident. I needed an odd combination of ratchets, extentions, and sockets and wrenches to finally remove the nuts. Then I found the generator itself was pretty well seized into place.

Installing the new brushes was a piece of cake. Reinstalling the generator took a lot less time than it did to remove it.

Jeff

a109
05-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Jeff.
That brings back memories of adjusting your voltage regulator at Ron Mowray's place in Maine close on 20 yrs ago.

John