PDA

View Full Version : So can I repair my antiburst door handle.....AND a great old advertisement link!

knac1234
01-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Well this thread is a two-for!

Some of you may know I've had some trouble with door seals and keeping the doors closed and flush. Thought I had it resolved, but still having issues with the driver's side.

I think the striker (on the post) moves a little, so I am going to try to put large washers on the backside to hold it in place.

More importantly, the NOS (but granted a little surface rust) door handle's latch I think is the problem. Unlike the passenger side, when you push the latch closed with your finger, it does not make the "snap" sound as it clicks into the locked closed position.....it keeps wanting to push back out and, no matter what I do, it will not snap tight. I suppose this explains why the door latch, when engaging the striker on the post, keeps seemingly pushing the door back out. Oh, also, when holding the latch in the closed position firmly with my finger, the lock does not work either, so pretty sure it's the problem.

Tried WD40 squirted in there to no avail. So, before I buy another one (brand new this time), is there a way to dismantle them? I tried that on one of the olds ones I had that also didn't work, and after drilling out the "studs" holding the two door latch halves together, reassembly seemed impossible.

Another note, here's a cool ad I found for a 1972 Series III. You have to play around with it as it is actually a newspaper on google from 1972....

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19720418&id=CiIiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yHMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5959,3061638

Julian

ca_surveyor
01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't have any ideas (mine doors are beat to hell), but maybe someone else has some ideas for Julian (and for me if I ever figure out what's going on).

Nice find for the ad.

SafeAirOne
01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, I figure if this kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Anti-Burst-Lock-Repair-Spring-Kit-Offside-/200630418542?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb6813c6e)is available in on ebay-UK, then you should be able to grind off the rivets that hold the anti-burst latch together to gain access to the inner mechanism to see what's going on in there and fix it.

LR Max
01-31-2012, 07:08 AM
I had trouble with my anti-burst latches NOT staying latched. I shot some white lithium grease into the door latches. Solved that problem super quick :D

CRiordan01
01-31-2012, 07:28 AM
My door latches would not engage if you swung either door closed; instead you had to apply your body weight against the door to get them shut. I took my latches apart as much as possible (I did not break the rivets) and sprayed a lot of break cleaner into the mechanism and then worked the latch. An amazing amount of gunk came out and they started working easier. After that dried, I applied a liberal dose of a synthetic lubricant and now they close very easily. No idea if you should really spray break cleaner in these, but it worked well in my case.

knac1234
01-31-2012, 09:10 AM
All,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I tried again spraying anything I could think of in there (Wd40, PB Blaster, and Brake cleaner). Nothing really came out as this was a NOS (but dated 73 I think) part. I gave up on it.

Mark....thanks for the link to that repair kit. I just remember a couple of months back before buying the above mentioned NOS latch trying to disassemble my broken one. I honestly could not hold the two cover halves together with all the springs and stuff in there in the right place (not to mention trying to rerivet it back together....as hinted at by the kit picture). So, decided against that plan!

I ordered a new one from AB using a coupon I had....$55. Not too bad. Should be here Friday.....hopefully on this weekend.

Glad you liked the ad!
Julian