PDA

View Full Version : SIII Turn Signal Stalk connection repair

printjunky
01-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Has anyone ever repaired one of the connections on the SIII turn signal stalk? My blue (high beam) wire was a little taut, and yesterday the connection snapped off right at the rivet.

I think I'll be able to get it, but any tips are welcome.

Cutter
01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Not really an answer, but I ended up buying a new one to work out a shorting issue. If it is any way helpful ( I don't think it would be) to have one for parts, I have the old one in a box somewhere.

printjunky
01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the offer Cutter. I have a spare as well, though it has a broken turn signal switcher-offer thingy. New one (non-OEM) can be had for a little over $20, but I don't feel like resnaking/reconnecting the rest of the wires, if I can fix this one connection.

Cutter
01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
$20! I know I spent at least 3 or 4 times that on my replacement, should have shopped around I guess.

printjunky
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
That's what I thought, too - about $75! Until today. In deference to our hosts, I'll just say shopping around is always a good idea.

Apis Mellifera
01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I've done it on MGs. Try not to overheat the plastic. In application, this switch gets abused with heat anyway. I ended up just buying a new switch when the one on the SIII broke. Side note: as mentioned, it's not expense if you look around. Even shipped from the UK, it was cheaper than the stateside options.

If there's one spot where a relay is needed, it's the High/Low beam switch in British vehicles; especially is upgraded headlamps are fitted.

printjunky
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Apis, as part of reversibly splicing in a mid-90s Caddy fusebox, I put separate relayed and breakered circuits on my hi and lo beams. This is expected to be the last car I ever buy, so I am trying to keep longevity and daily driving in mind. Eventually it will have a galvy frame, (at least) 2 discs, a Roverdrive, Rocky Mountain doortops, etc, etc. The plan is for it to outlive me!

s3landy
01-31-2012, 07:25 AM
I remember fixing mine when the wire for the signal broke on one side. I redrilled a hole on the same side as the other signal drilled and pop riveted the wire back on with a wire connector. This way the same wire operated both signals.

Mike

disco2hse
02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Has anyone ever repaired one of the connections on the SIII turn signal stalk? My blue (high beam) wire was a little taut, and yesterday the connection snapped off right at the rivet.

I think I'll be able to get it, but any tips are welcome.

Same thing happened to me. Just solder it back on. But be careful not to melt the surrounding plastic.