PDA

View Full Version : Series Purchase Authorized! Now what?

WilsBoar
01-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Need some advice from those with with Series experience. The wife has authorized the purchase of a Series Rover after I have been talking about them for 12 years now. It will be a third vehicle and my teenage daughter would drive it to high school (3 miles from the house) when I am not driving it. She will also be learning how to do the general maintenance and upkeep on the Rover. Need some recommendations on what I should go with. It will have to get up to 55mph for about 1 mile during the trip...but overdrive would be nice. Won't be heavily offroaded at all...mostly loaded up with dogs/surfboards/kids on the beaches here in Florida or hunting trails through scrub and sand.

Thanks for any advice!

bpj911
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
It sounds like you should buy my 109 right away. See classifieds! :)

Terrys
01-31-2012, 09:14 PM
All series drive pretty similarly, and almost all teenage girls do too. The two barely mix, if at all. Have you ever driven one?

rwollschlager
01-31-2012, 09:46 PM
It sounds like you should buy my 109 right away. See classifieds! :)

I second this motion. I can deliver it for price of food and fuel :thumb-up:

-Rob

Billy5
02-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I tend to agree with Terrys. I just got mine a few moths ago and I daily drive it. Sometimes I rethink that decision. Not the truck just the only car part. But having said that, I would find one that you can drive or at least get into, sit etc. My experience thus far? 1) they are noisy as hell ( forget about a radio really..), you will smell oil, 90wt and grease at all times ( not terrible mind you) and 55mph is about as fast as you would want to go if that. You cannot just sit back and roll, you have to drive these things. No first finger only turns. Which reminds me, you do realize there is no power steering? Series Rovers are machines ( think tractor with an aluminum body slapped on it). I am not trying to discourage at all. Or ruin a potential sale:D just trying to help. But if I were you 1) go diesel if you can 2) go series 111 as they at least have a full synchro transmission.

I Leak Oil
02-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Buy the best, most solid truck you can afford. In the long run it will be the cheapest way of getting into one.

As a former trouble making teenager and now parent...I'd go with the 88". The friends per car load to keg party ratio is much lower than it would be in a 109":D

LR Max
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
All series drive pretty similarly, and almost all teenage girls do too. The two barely mix, if at all. Have you ever driven one?

I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING. Back in high school I couldn't ever get a girl to ride in my 109. Let alone drive it. Wait until you try to turn the steering wheel at a dead stop. That'll put an end to that REAL QUICK.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer about it, just being realistic. Also I know of many vehicle purchased by fathers for daughters equipped with manual transmissions...every last one of them was sold off after 2 weeks. Unless your daughter is super awesome (dunno, is she?) then this ain't gonna fly.

Rovers are slow, noisy, smelly, leaky, and obnoxious. The last one, I was informed of by a co-worker. Apparently having anything that stands out is "obnoxious" according Miami, FL standards. So my 109 is obnoxious, such is life.

bpj911
02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
My little sister, mom, and my wife can all drive a manual no problem. An unsynchronized transmission would be a problem without some training but they certainly are capable of driving a standard without issue.

Dietersrover
02-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I love my Series, I drive it all the time. But it is a truck, well more like a tractor.
I have a 1971 Series IIA 88. It's non syc from 1st to 2nd, but start off in 2nd most of the time anyway.
I think you will want to drive as much as possible, trust me.
I say go for it and enjoy, you only live once!

jac04
02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I know lots of girls/women, including my wife, sister & mother, who can drive a manual. I don't know of any who would actually drive my Rover (SIII w/ full syncro box) by choice. And, yes, I have offered to let them drive it.

Anyhow, don't let that stop you from buying a series Land Rover. You will love it and probably drive it most of the time. Don't let anyone talk you into just some average series vehicle. You need something different. You need a Lightweight! :thumb-up:

Firemanshort
02-01-2012, 03:40 PM
One consideration.... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sure - there will be plenty of folks who pipe up and follow my post with stories of flawless driving records and Saint-like childhood experiences but lets keep it real and be honest with each other... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sometimes the wreck is a stumble into a mailbox or hitting the garage door... sometimes it is a triple-lindy down a highway embankment.

(Also refer back to the KEG PARTY / PASSENGER RATIO comment before)

Do not get me wrong - buy the Series, love the Series, become one with EP90... just manage the teenager expectations.

Max(SD)
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Rovers are great, and lots of fun, but not necessarily the safest transportation for a young teenager learning to drive. Get your daughter something safe and sound, with modern braking and reliable.

Get the Rover for yourself and enjoy.

Cutter
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
As a former trouble making teenager and now parent...I'd go with the 88". The friends per car load to keg party ratio is much lower than it would be in a 109":D

I got 13 drunk guys in my 109 regular for a bachelor party, teens could improve on that, go for an 88.

While I'd have concerns with a teen driving a rover, the flip side is that there is no opportunity to text or talk on a cell with a rover, the driving experience forces compliance :)

knac1234
02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
FWIW, if she learns to drive the Series, she will be able to drive anything! And that was my dad's thought when I learned to drive.....he would not teach me in the automatic, only the stick.

Anyway, it is a very rudimentary vehicle that is not remotely like driving any of the other classic Brit cars I have. That said, I enjoy it and it has filled the "void" for me....a classic Brit car that I can drive year round and that will handle the snow in Colorado.

I'd buy it, and if your daughter does not enjoy it, perhaps she could drive one of your other two vehicles and you could drive the Series full time!

I agree with the comments on a Series III due to the all synchro gearbox--or at least one that has been converted to a SIII box. Will make it a lot easier for your daughter and all to use and learn to drive!

Good luck,
Julian

Skookumchuck
02-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Buy, Buy, Buy before she comes to her senses. It only took me three years of wining to have the boss give me permission to buy my 68. I agree with the other comments that if you teach her to drive the series anything else will be a cake walk. They are not that bad to drive and she might really like it.(the benifit is it is all she has driven and she won't know better:D) I learned to drive a stick 69 Ford and took that truck everywhere. Power steering is over rated anyway.:eek:

TedW
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Buy, Buy, Buy before she comes to her senses. It only took me three years of wining to have the boss give me permission to buy my 68. I agree with the other comments that if you teach her to drive the series anything else will be a cake walk. They are not that bad to drive and she might really like it.(the benifit is it is all she has driven and she won't know better:D) I learned to drive a stick 69 Ford and took that truck everywhere. Power steering is over rated anyway.:eek:

Do you have anything in writing? Memories get foggy after a while...:D

homerhermit
02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
One consideration.... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sure - there will be plenty of folks who pipe up and follow my post with stories of flawless driving records and Saint-like childhood experiences but lets keep it real and be honest with each other... ALL TEENAGERS WRECK THIER FIRST CAR.

Sometimes the wreck is a stumble into a mailbox or hitting the garage door... sometimes it is a triple-lindy down a highway embankment.

(Also refer back to the KEG PARTY / PASSENGER RATIO comment before)

Do not get me wrong - buy the Series, love the Series, become one with EP90... just manage the teenager expectations.

I would have to agree with the the above statement, Although in my daughters case, it was the first two plus 3 tickets (shes taking a break from driving for a while)

I completely understand the desire to keep connected with your daughter, I have a nice fly rod and a lot of lacrosse gear piled around to document the effort. But I might suggest air bags and good brakes for your new driver with some quality father daughter time in the Rover on the way to getting a tattoo or piercing or something fun like that.

Skookumchuck
02-01-2012, 06:13 PM
I would have to agree with the the above statement, Although in my daughters case, it was the first two plus 3 tickets (shes taking a break from driving for a while)

I completely understand the desire to keep connected with your daughter, I have a nice fly rod and a lot of lacrosse gear piled around to document the effort. But I might suggest air bags and good brakes for your new driver with some quality father daughter time in the Rover on the way to getting a tattoo or piercing or something fun like that.

I about fell off the chair reading this

Ncrover725
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I think a bunch of her attitude regarding a series rover will be what she has been exposed to as a child. My mom (60) has driven my IIa 109 with no issues on grocery runs. She has always driven box or full size broncos. My wife refuses to get behind the wheel of my rover and she grew up with nicer cars.

RoverDover
02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
My GF and Mother and 2 sisters all drive manual and have driven trucks in the past, but without powersteering and the sheer leg power need to press down the clutch pedal, none of them will drive my 90. I drive my Defender 45 kms every day and love the rattle of diesel, vibrating aluminium sheetmetal, humming of mud tyres, howling spiral bevel diff gears, and banging of military spec suspension. My GF doesnt mind short jaunts, but everyday use or a long road trip is a bit much for her. The thing she really hates is the oil, fuel and exhaust fumes.

Terrys
02-02-2012, 03:22 AM
On the upside; Your daughter will have biceps all the boys in school will marvel at, and I doubt any of the guys will give her any trouble.

CRiordan01
02-02-2012, 08:15 AM
If you have been looking at Series rovers for 12 years, don't miss this opportunity to buy one (I had a shorter period of 3 years before permission was granted)! If you delay... your spouse's mind may change on the matter if she doesn't already realize what these vehicles are really like on a day-to-day basis. My wife had never seen one in person until the semi arrived to deliver ours... that was when the doubt set in. She likes trips in our 88 now, but doesn't express desire to go drive it.

Two comments - (1) if you are buying for your daughter, spend as much asa you can to get a really good setup and have some piece of mind that it is more likely to not break down with her in it. (2) be prepared for the possibility that your daughter may not like driving it and that you (being the good father - and indulging in your dreams of 12 years) may have to drive it more often then you were originally planning.

On the plus side, your daughter should be able to challenge the validity of any speeding tickets she is accused of and she will have the coolest vehicle in the high school parking lot.

ivarra
02-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Too funny :D. But its all true, and each getting an ankle tattoo of a grease stain is really cheap because shape doesnt matter and there arent many colors involved!

artpeck
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
I have 3 daughters and a son. Now out of high school but the last only recently. And 8 vehicles in the stable and all but one are manual. All learned to drive on a manual including one in the defender. There are two primary tangible benefits I have seen to kids being able to drive a manual. 1) they can drive in other countries where most of the cars are still built that way and really important especially when they head to college 2) other kids can't borrow their car...

stomper
02-02-2012, 09:18 AM
If you want a series, by all means, go buy one. But I wouldn't try and use the justification of your daughter driving it as a reason for buying it. I good condition series is going to run you around $8-10K, maybe more. I deccent used car for her to drive to school, that is safer, more reliable, and perhaps more desireable to her is going to run you around $3,000. Unless she is the type of girl who really WANTS a series, and has had the opportunity to test drive one, I wouldn't bet any money on her liking it.

There is also the whole safety issue that people have elluded to. Do you really want to put an inexperienced driver, who is far more likely to crash their first vehicle into a truck without crumple zones, a hard unpadded or barely padded dash, and no airbags? My 10 year old son wants my series when he learns to drive, and I flat out said NO! Not until he is a little more experienced with driving, proves himself mechanically, and can appreciate that these really are a bit more rare and valuable than an econobox.

LaneRover
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
One could argue that if the series crashes at least they aren't going that fast . . .:D

Personally I think its great to have your kid learn to drive on a series. Down here in Florida there was just an accident where 3 20 year olds died because they pulled out in front of a semi. I don't think it mattered which car they were in. I think there are times where a regular car will be safer and times where the series will be safer. IF you have seatbelts in it of course.

As a teenager I never crashed my first cars into anything.

73series88
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
yeah my daughters 14 1/2. she as always been my mga girl. so when i sold my 59 roadster a few years ago for a 68 912 she was not happy. now that the 912 has been replaced with a 60 mga coupe she is eyeing that. ive let her drive my series up and down the street with me in the truck.
i remember when she was quite young and i was putting the mga together, she was my brake pedal pumper. or starter when i needed someone to pull the starter. good memories

but she wants a new beetle

aaron

Jeff Aronson
02-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Some random thoughts on your potential purchase:

1. If your daughter really wants to learn to drive and maintain a Series Rover she is destined for greatness. We've enjoyed several articles in Rovers Magazine from daughters with such munificent fathers; some of those daughters became favorite correspondents for the magazine.

2. Asking any new[er] driver to endure a Series II-A transmission is burdensome for new drivers. Perhaps you could look for a fully synchronized Series III?

3. The attention level required to keep a Series Rover on the road, especially at 55-60, will assure you that your daughter won't be able to text or talk on her cellphone while driving.

4. Forget the cosmetics: invest in a brake system rebuild, new wiring harness, full engine tuneup. Those will help lessen the chance of a breakdown or an accident. Avoid "customized" Rovers; unless you know exactly what was done they will be harder to maintain in daily use.

5. Treat your daughter and yourself to an off road driving course so she knows what the Rover can do. Then take her out in a parking lot so she can learn why driving defensively is essential to safe daily use of a Series Rover.

6. Install shoulder seat belts.

7. Get new tires with great tread for proper control.

8. No male friend drives the car -ever - even if they resemble Robert Pattison.

9. Don't be disappointed if she changes her mind; it happens to teens. Meanwhile, buy the Series Rover so you can enjoy it yourself in case it's not right for her.

10. Remind her you deserve something SPECIAL for Father's Day if you buy the Rover.

Jeff

WilsBoar
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I want to thank everyone for all the replies. You got me thinking of some safety issues and I definitely feel that I would probably need to go the way of the Series III (who has one for sale?) based on drivetrain concerns. I think that I will pull the trigger on a Series Rover for myself regardless of whether the daughter drives it or not. Either way (if she likes it or not) it is a perfect master plan for me to get a rig!

I am going to start scouring for a suitable candidate. I have already been keeping an eye on the rigs for sale in this forum. I will take my time and make sure I don't jump on the first thing that strikes my eye. It makes sense to pay a little more for quality and reliability (or near-reliability) to get something that I will drive more than push or have towed.

Thanks again all!

jac04
02-03-2012, 07:44 AM
... I would probably need to go the way of the Series III (who has one for sale?) ... It makes sense to pay a little more for quality and reliability (or near-reliability) to get something that I will drive more than push or have towed.
What's your price range?

WilsBoar
02-04-2012, 02:09 AM
@10k

masonater
02-04-2012, 06:56 AM
For 10 grand you should be able to hunt down a very nice rig. Im sure there are a couple folks on this board who have series for sale. I wouldnt rush it, take the time. I bet there is a perfect one out there for you and your daughter. I think you should go with an 88 IIA hardtop. In high school, I had my 109 PU and was always the one who had to take all the beer cans away and stuff with people. "come on dude, you have a rover, it's a beast" on the 4th of july many years ago i had 14 college kids in my 109 while i drove out on the beach. Get an 88.

As for her not being able to drive it...garbage. I learned to drive my 109 when i was 12 and taught my sister when she was 15. Regardless what recent news says, girls still cannot park well. Thats why i think an 88 would be easier for her to handle.

BackInA88
02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I taught my daughter to drive a stick in my 71 IIa that I converted to full syncro.
Shift was not a problem, turning the steering wheel was.

I have been thinking of selling mine.
No rust thru let me know if your interested, I would about $8K.
Here's some pictures I took a few years ago.
Looks the same, but it is now mechanically in top shape.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/Land%20Rover/

Steve

derekchace
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Spend a little more and you can have a Defender from me :)

greenmeanie
02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Why would he give up the good stuff for a boinger?

1971Series88
02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I bought my daughter a 2001 SE7 DII....she always wanted a Rover - she absolutely loves it, keeps it in wonderful condition and when asked by the wife to swap it for a Acura MDX told momma "My Rover? Are you serious??" - it is bigger, safer, and better equipped for mall crawling.

I kept the Series for me - and she has/can drive it whenever she so desires...so far only twice for "fun" with the girls.

You can pick up a decent Series for 5-8K FOR YOU....and nab a decent Disco for 3-5K - your girl is safer (that is all that really matters) and you have a "stable"

WilsBoar
02-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Funny you should mention a Disco. That is what my daughter wanted in the first place until she saw a couple of the Series rigs. I would not have an issue with that (along with the second part of the plan to get me a Series) but I have not heard much good about the older Discos. Agree on the safety issue....and that is most important. I know even less about what year Disco is less prone to major issues. I will drop a line in the Disco forum to see what the opinion is. Thanks!

WilsBoar
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
That is a RHD right?

WilsBoar
02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I will PM you Steve.