PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case

Max(SD)
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I am in the process of removing and rebuilding gearbox and replacing broken layshaft in transfer box.

I am having trouble removing the mainshaft rear bearing housing cover. I have unbolted the six nuts but unable to prise off the cover.

Any recommendations as to how to do this, I don't want to pry it off, I already gave it a couple of good whacks with a rubber mallet, but stopped and decided to ask for some advice, before I damage anything.

I am attempting to take the gearbox out in pieces, I was going to do it in two pieces, however it might be easier to remove the output shaft and then the transfer box, any thoughts?

Thanks.

SafeAirOne
02-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Broken layshaft in the transfer box??

If I'm not mistaken, the layshaft is in the transmission. What's broken in the transfer case?

Removal of the mainshaft rear bearing housing (the PTO cover) is pretty straightforward. You might be able to assist it a little bit through the uppermost access cover plate on the transfer case, though I wouldn't do anything too extreme to the actual part that surrounds the bearing.

If you have an engine hoist, I find it easier to take the transfer case and transmission out as a unit through the top. Transfer case separation from the transmission in place is just as much of a PITA as removing them both together and separating them on the bench, IMO.

Max(SD)
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't have any engine hoist or access to one, that is why I want to take everything separate and remove in pieces.

I suspect that first and second gear are fairly worn, as lots of metal bits when I drained gearbox, and the car was not engaging in either first or second, and barely in third, not having synchro has taken its toll on the gearbox, and it was slipping a bit when I first bought it about 6 months ago. So I knew this was going to need addressing.

When I began to take everything apart, specifically the transmission brake, the tip of the shaft that sits in the middle of the transmission brake was broken off and just sitting there. I thought this was called a transfer box layshaft. Maybe it has another name?

ignotus
02-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I took mine out by wrapping stout rope around the roof and using a come-a-long to lift the boxes. The hook on the come-a-long then slides on the rope bringing the boxes to the door. Once at the door I lowered it onto a skateboard to move around. I used several wraps of the rope to prevent a single wrap from streching too much.

gene

siii8873
02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I removed mine as you are planning, Tcase first, gearbox second. I did it this way so I could handle the pieces myself.
I had trouble trying to get my PTO cover off also. I was prying, tapping, ect. I then decided to give it a push from the inside out and of course it pops right out and falls on my foehead leaving a nice welt.
I did not think this wa a bad way, lighter manageable pieces.