PDA

View Full Version : RN Parabolics and Bushings issue

Andrew IIA
02-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi Gang,

The RF spring bushing on my RN Parabolic springs failed recently (3 y.o. / 15K miles).

I called up RN to order some replacements (OE type won't fit) ......turns out "there are no replacements" :mad: Really ? That sucks. I'm SOL. They recommended I have a local-to-me spring shop make some up. I think RN should have some made up and keep them in stock.

Anyone have this experience :confused: Thoughts, ideas, advice, crazy stories ?

Thanks

east high
02-02-2012, 05:16 PM
I'd second what RN said. A local spring shop could hook you up pretty easily, I'd imagine.

jac04
02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Thoughts, ideas, advice, crazy stories?
It's really a shame to see our hosts leave you hanging like that. If it's that easy to get replacements from a local spring shop, then why don't THEY offer to get you some? Failure after 15K miles seems premature and they should be going above & beyond to help you out. At a very minimum, they should go back to their supplier to get the specs for the bushings for you. Personally, I think they should be sourcing the bushings and keeping some in stock to be able to service the bunches of parabolics they have sold.

Today, you can get parts from lots of places. It is the customer service after the sale that will make you a loyal customer. RN is often viewed as a 'top end' supplier of parts, and therefore (IMO) they should have the customer service to back it up. Simply telling you you're SOL just isn't acceptable.

ignotus
02-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Poly bushing? Try other suppliers.

gene

JimCT
02-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I know it sucks but the flexibility of parabolic springs eat bushings, you can't have them both. 15k is pretty good. New technology comes with expensives.

Mercedesrover
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Mine failed much sooner than that. A year or so and 5k miles maybe. I had the same run of springs you must have where they have an odd-sized bushing. Yes, a spring shop can probably get you a replacement. I decided to dump them for different springs. And yes, it's a bit crappy that RN can't offer a solution to this problem. The new springs they sell carry a standard sized bushing.

I Leak Oil
02-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Sorry Rovers North, as a long time customer if that was the response then that is completely unacceptable. (watch, now I'll start receiving all the wrong parts...) You should back your product.

As for finding bushings, if you can take some measurements on what you have then NAPA is always a good source for that kind of stuff. If you go to NAPA online you might even be able to look up the part there. I found replacement caliper parts by matching dimensions found on their site.

SalemRover
02-03-2012, 05:35 AM
When my front Rocky Mountain parabolics failed after 9 years I went down to a local spring shop and had them rebuilt. The folks at RM were kind enough to give me a technical drawing to have them rebuilt. For 70 clams a spring I have nice new springs that are now heavier as I always thought the 2 leaf front were too weak. Just thought I would say that I was quite happy with the local spring job. I am surprised that Rovers North does not warranty the leafs to last longer.

-Jason

gyoung993
02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I am picking up a new set of RN parabolics and poly bushings next weekend... Should I be concerned?

Andrew IIA
02-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I am picking up a new set of RN parabolics and poly bushings next weekend... Should I be concerned?
The informed me that they didn't have any polybushes to fit their parabolics. :confused:

Billy5
02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey Andrew, sorry to hear about this. Try Riverhead brake, they do springs too ( at least they used too) great shop. They are on Main Street. I think you have Southampton brake out by you as well. I just never used them.

Andrew IIA
02-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Hey Andrew, sorry to hear about this. Try Riverhead brake, they do springs too ( at least they used too) great shop. They are on Main Street. I think you have Southampton brake out by you as well. I just never used them.
Thanks Billy. I've heard good things about Riverhead Brake. I've got my mechanic in Quogue working on it right now :thumb-up:

Les Parker
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
To date RN has had a nominal amount of spring bushing failure on the parabolic springs.

We have taken heed of comment on the forum ( we always appreciate feedback - both positive and negative), and are currently sourcing spring bushings for the current line of parabolic springs.

As we tried several brands before we were content with both the performance and quality of the product.

As we do not have any of the initial springs to measure and the cross-over of the various vendors, we need to have some info. on the failed bushes.

Please forward this to us and we will endeavour to source locally as spares.

This could be quite a project, as we would need some data from customers on the springs they own, i.e. dims of the displaced bushes, to enable us to supply the correct part the first time around.

So please advise with what you have !!

jac04
02-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Les-
How do we know if we have your "current line" or some "initial springs"? Who makes your "current line" springs? Are they the springs made by Jonas Woodhead & Sons?

Shouldn't RN know (or be able to easily get) the specs on the parabolic springs they have recently sold, allowing them to keep a full range of spare bushings on hand? That way you can simply tell us what to measure on our springs & you can immediately send out replacements.

jopa
02-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Wait a minute...we are talking about a pretty inexpensive part here. How much do spring bushings cost?....less then $10 each from most any reputable spring shop. RN carries a ton of stock on hand to keep our trucks running...it does not make sense to carry parts that you are not going to sell an appreciable quantity. You can not complain about RN's customer support...its always been great. I dont blame them for not having a non stock item on the shelf- even if it was from a part they originally sold years ago...any of us can measure the bushing, go online and order what you need from any local to you spring shop. Les/RN I will see if I kept the bushing numbers and forward them to you...I used Stengle Bros Spring in Whitehall Pa. The springs I have were your early parabolics. I dont see where this is such a big issue.-John

JBinAlabama
02-04-2012, 06:53 PM
WOW, great timing on this one:eek:
I intended to place an order on Monday from RN for springs & shocks.

It's a bit surprising that they don't back them up!
I guess I need to look around some more.....dang it!

Cutter
02-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I think Rover's North has top notch service as far as the rover places go, fwiw. I have older RN parabolics in my truck and the bushings are holding up fine, but if they did I guess I wouldn't get too worked up if the bushing wasn't something they stocked - not the hardest thing to source when it comes to finding rover parts, and certainly not expensive. Looks like they are interested in finding the part for concerned parties.

Les Parker
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Update for all.

The current Parabolic Springs RN offers, the same as we have sold since January 2009, take the standard Landrover bushings (RNC346).

To date, no one has given data on the earlier spring bushings, thus no updates on those.

Thanks to those that understand the issues of carrying spares for a product that we no longer offer, that are readily available from any good spring shop.

So anyone considering purchases, yes, we can supply bushings for current stock !!!

Andrew IIA
02-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Update for all.

The current Parabolic Springs RN offers, the same as we have sold since January 2009, take the standard Landrover bushings (RNC346).

!

Hmm. Looks like you DID have the bushing I needed. Oh well. Issue taken care of. Glad you're stocking them :thumb-up:

rosims
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
My issue is not with the springs, but the Pro-Comp shocks that come with the kit. They are too long for the rear and when mounted are just about completely compressed. Absolutley no upper shock travel at all. They bottom out and I feel were the wrong shocks. Worked with our hosts for a while sent pictures measurements etc. Only soulution I was told was they could supply a different brand shock, but would cost more. Did not understand this. Oh well, no bushing problems yet.

I Leak Oil
02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Perhaps this is just hearsay but I remember reading somewhere that Rocky Mountain had to ask ProComp to make a special shock for the series rover because none of their standard shocks fit right. Not sure how true that is though.

As far as the bushings go. They wear out. They are a wear item. If they're easy to get and relatively cheap then keeping a few on the shelf to support a customer base shouldn't be that much of a stretch. Or....atleast be able to give them some info so they can source it elsewhere. Really isn't a big deal though. RN still has the best customer support, bar none.

A spring bushing isn't quite as serious an issue but I've stopped shopping at another rover vendor because they told me they would support a particular product that I was thinking of buying from them. I did buy it and shortly after they dropped it and also weren't willing to help source parts.