PDA

View Full Version : Amber or clear lights???

1971Series88
02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Guys: Can anyone tell me why on some IIa's the two small lights, "marker & indicator" are sometime both amber or sometimes the marker light is clear?

I know on Range over classics the British version had the lights with the top being a clear, and the bottom half was amber, but the NAS ones were solid amber. But that was in the 90's.

Is it the same? or.....???

TeriAnn
02-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Guys: Can anyone tell me why on some IIa's the two small lights, "marker & indicator" are sometime both amber or sometimes the marker light is clear?

I know on Range over classics the British version had the lights with the top being a clear, and the bottom half was amber, but the NAS ones were solid amber.

I currently believe that amber parking lights is an owner modification that may not be legal in all states. I do not believe that any LR was shipped to the US with amber parking lights.

Back in the 1950s and I think in the early 1960's in the US, front turn signals were clear and often different filaments of the same bulb. Then you started seeing US cars with clear parking lights and separate amber front turn signal lights. Sometime in the '60's Europe started making vehicles with clear parking lights and amber turn signals front and rear.

I think that most if not all SI, SII and early SIIA vehicles came with white parking and turn signals. By the mid 60's I think they all came with white parking lamps and amber turn signals.

Some owners have retrofitted amber front turn signals to their earlier LRs as a safety upgrade.

east high
02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
FWIW, my 67' sIIa has clear indicators.

siiirhd88
02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
On English cars imported to the U.S. the 1970 model year was the change from clear to amber turn signals. On cars with single front lamps, the side / park lamp and turn signal were both amber. This same year side marker lamps were required, but side reflectors do appear on some 1968 vehicles.

This was likely the same for the Series trucks, as they were usually sold as cars.

I've bought the glass lamps from Triple C, as listed in a previous post. They have both the beehive and flat glass lamp units available, and they have been easy to deal with. They are local to me, and I usually just stop by the shop to pick up what I need. The owner previously had a '95 DI, but I don't know what he currently drives.

Bob

Max(SD)
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Speaking of lights, has anyone replaced their lights with our hosts LED lights?

cedryck
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I did see the LED lights, tail, signal mounted on a jeep,(I know), nice and bright, easy to see,

TeriAnn
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I never could get the LED lights to work with the Rocky Mountain emergency flasher conversion, even after I put in an electronic flasher unit for it.

SO I switched my turn signals back to incandescent bulbs so I can keep the emergency flashers.

albersj51
02-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I plan on swapping the bulbs for LED's using the standard housings (Lucas 488 and 692). After following an old truck and nearly rear-ending him due to his extremely dim lighting, I thought it was worth a try so that I am more visible to others. I am doing a full rewire and replacing the flasher units with electronic flashers. I'm not at the wiring phase of my resto yet, but I may install a couple of bulbs and test them on a battery charger to see if they work.

Firemanshort
02-08-2012, 08:06 AM
I read somewhere that you should never sink a lot of money into high priced exhaust components on a truck that will go off road. The logic is that the exhaust frequently is the first underside component to get damaged. Time has proven this theory correct for my truck.

I place the Rover sticky-out turn and brake lights in the same category. I have seen several Series guys break a lens or smoooosh a light on those unexpected tree-touches while negotiating off road. Time has proven this theory correct for my truck, as well. So I am not sure the wisdom in upgrading to higher priced and hard to find parts. You can buy a lot of incadensent bulbs at a lot of gas stations for teh price of a mail order LED.

But if your truck is a road truck and you could benefit from the extra lumens.... then LEDS are a no brainer.

SafeAirOne
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I have seen several Series guys break a lens or smoooosh a light on those unexpected tree-touches while negotiating off road.

But if your truck is a road truck and you could benefit from the extra lumens.... then LEDS are a no brainer.

Some people drive their trucks to off-road sites then swap their street tires for the 4 off-road tires they carried with them. Now you can do it with your rear lamps too! :D

stomper
02-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Nice one Mark! I am thinking about how to fit another whole rover into the back of my 88 now!:D You have to have one that looks good, and another to get dirty in!