PDA

View Full Version : Door tops

Apis Mellifera
02-05-2012, 08:49 PM
One of my door tops almost fell off today while driving. Basically the entire bottom is rusted out. Allowing it to flop around at low speeds and stay gapped out about two inches at anything over 40 mph. Are Prolines all steel or aluminum over steel? Is there anything exactly like Rocky Mountain only cheaper or do the RMs ever go on sale?

Ncrover725
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
My glass fell out while driving and I had some leak issues. I decided to go for it and purchase the RM door tops even though they were pretty costly. I have zero regrets. Great fit, durable, and great quality.

albersj51
02-05-2012, 11:44 PM
One of my door tops almost fell off today while driving. Basically the entire bottom is rusted out. Allowing it to flop around at low speeds and stay gapped out about two inches at anything over 40 mph. Are Prolines all steel or aluminum over steel? Is there anything exactly like Rocky Mountain only cheaper or do the RMs ever go on sale?

I've been watching the RM door tops for about a year, hoping they'll go on sale...but not yet.

scatterling
02-06-2012, 05:13 AM
don't waste time thinking about it. Get the RM tops. :thumb-up:

stomper
02-06-2012, 05:56 AM
When I ordered my RM doortops from Wise Owl, They had a set that had some light scratches on the glass from shipping. They were selling them for a reduced price, so I grabbed them. You really had to look to see the scratches, and they were otherwise perfect. You may want to call and inquire, but this is obviously a hit or miss discount. I think it knocked off around $50.00.

masonater
02-06-2012, 06:51 AM
For 2 door tops as nice as the RM ones, the price really is not that bad. I got mine this past summer and wonder why it took me so many years to pull the trigger. Doubt the price will change so just get em!

stomper
02-06-2012, 06:57 AM
I agree, they will be the last door tops you will ever need to buy, so while the cost seems high compared to the standerd tops, they are worth the price.

mearstrae
02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I got the RM's a couple years ago and don't regret the move. I did luck out and get a pair from Ebay at a super discount (as no one bid on them?). As with all Land Rovers things rust from the inside out, so once you see the rust on the outside it's too late to do much. You can get new steel door tops and the anti-rust the inside of the things by drilling holes and treating them. But why go to all that trouble and expense and still not be happy with them?

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

amcordo
02-06-2012, 12:40 PM

I galvanized the prolines. It's aluminum skin over steel frame. If you're not going to buy the aluminum ones from RM, then go proline. They're simpler than OEM, and galvanized MUCH better.

siii8873
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Tony, your not saying that the proline ones come galvanized are you? I thinl you meant have them galvanized.

The other option is to find some defender door tops but if you think the RM's are expensive they are about 2-3 times the price if you can find them/

The RM's are a good door top. I also opted for a scratched door top and saved a few bucks.

amcordo
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Tony, your not saying that the proline ones come galvanized are you? I thinl you meant have them galvanized.

The other option is to find some defender door tops but if you think the RM's are expensive they are about 2-3 times the price if you can find them/

The RM's are a good door top. I also opted for a scratched door top and saved a few bucks.

I galvanized them - the do not come galvanized. Even with that said, they're put together much simpler. There are NO hidden areas completely encased in steel (the originals have that box structure on the bottom). So to rust proof them you can remove the aluminum and easily spray the entire surface area of the frame. With the Original you're spraying blindly into that box hoping you get the whole surface. This is a case where simpler is much better.

I wish I had taken pictures of the frame without the aluminum on it.

That all being said, you're paying 2x to get the aluminum ones. That's really not that much of an increase to get peace of mind and avoid the troubles of galv/proofing them.

scatterling
02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
There are two additional advantages to getting RM versus stock replacements. Firstly, once bolted down, they seem to seal far better that the floppy originals I had ( maybe RM increased the angle on the bottoms - just a guess)
Secondly, the fact that the front pane opens allows for amazing cross ventilation. I have the pickup cab and it was always next to impossible to get a breeze to blow on me and keep me cool in the summer.

luckyjoe
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I picked-up a Defender set, and they really are well thought out. I was about a day away from RM's when I found them.

WRT galvanizing, a couple years ago I bought a NOS S3 rear lift gate frame & skin. I separated them, galvanized the frame, and reassembled using an original S2 skin. I call it the end-of-the-world gate, and I hope it lasts that long...

Cutter
02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I bought a proline and OEM door top from our hosts to replace the rusted out ones that came on my truck. I sadly didn't know about the RM tops at that point, the new tops are ok, but still are kinda floppy. I feel like the ones I bought will last a few years but the RM will last longer than the truck...

Partsman
02-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Check out spglobalparts on eBay,if you contact them directly, you'll get them for less than what you're going to pay on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Series-2-3-88-109-Door-Tops-Frames-PAIR-/250989282278?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a702083e6

TeriAnn
02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I bought a proline and OEM door top from our hosts to replace the rusted out ones that came on my truck. I sadly didn't know about the RM tops at that point, the new tops are ok, but still are kinda floppy. I feel like the ones I bought will last a few years but the RM will last longer than the truck...

I am totally off aftermarket door tops except for the Rocky Mountain ones. I bought a new pair in 1996 and when I took them off a decade later they came off in pieces leaving a big pile of rust flakes on the ground underneath. They never did fit properly at the top and it always rained inside along the door tops when it rained outside.

I decided not to go with the Rocky Mountain tops because I wanted the windows to open farther so I could easily rest my arm on window opening. I spent the extra money for genuine LR D90 door tops and have been very happy with the fit.

If you don't mind the windows not opening as far the Rocky Mountain door tops are the way to go.

The aftermarket door tops offered by Britpart, Allmakes & others are just poorly made and a poor fit. But they are cheaper & will get you by for a decade of so.

TedW
02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Does RM still offer their door tops unglazed? They did early on, and that's how mine came. I used my existing glass, along with SS window channel from a local marine store.

Might be a way to save a few bucks.