PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an old knackered but complete Series 3 wiring loom

sizod
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Have this crazy idea of making my own wiring loom. Anyone have an old knackered maybe/probably melted, cracked loom they want to get rid of? thanks.

sizod
02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Update and explanation. I've got hold of an old rear section, very bad condition but useable for my needs. My plan is to document the rebuild of a wiring loom for a SIII, I've have the schematics from Haynes manuals and our hosts have the pdf diagram (http://bit.ly/yc88SO). My plan is to take it one step further and do all the measurement wire length etc (unless someone knows of these, I have yet to find it), and of course share it with LR community for other folks that might want to make a "roll your own" harness.

mongoswede
02-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Update and explanation. I've got hold of an old rear section, very bad condition but useable for my needs. My plan is to document the rebuild of a wiring loom for a SIII, I've have the schematics from Haynes manuals and our hosts have the pdf diagram (http://bit.ly/yc88SO). My plan is to take it one step further and do all the measurement wire length etc (unless someone knows of these, I have yet to find it), and of course share it with LR community for other folks that might want to make a "roll your own" harness.

check out the autosparks website....you can get complete factory replica harnesses from them for reasonable prices...correct colors, connectors etc. If you are going to go through all the work to make a harness why not just make your own with modern circuits, relays, and fuses.

sizod
02-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the link, great resource. I do want to make the new harness with modern connectors, relays and fuses.

mongoswede
02-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the link, great resource. I do want to make the new harness with modern connectors, relays and fuses.

I wouldn't even bother with tracing the original harness. The only thing you might do is get a hold of a Lucas color code chart and then just run the same color wires. A typical rover circuit was power-switch-main_fuse-object-ground. There were 2 or 4 fuses for the entire truck. Your new harness will have independent fuses for each circuit and relays on the higher load circuits. Build one circuit at a time and draw it up on paper first. This way you have a new diagram when done and you keep focused on what has to run. I recently bought all new wire and a fuse box to do a 109...not started yet...but got all the stuff through Waytek...only drawback is you need to buy wire in 250 ft lengths. I have a lot of wire :D

SafeAirOne
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't even bother with tracing the original harness.

Neither would I. There aren't too many branches on this simple electrical system.

stomper
02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Neither would I. There aren't too many branches on this simple electrical system.

Sort of like the family tree of the people who built them originally?:D

sizod
02-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the advise, I knew the RN forum would sanity check my idea. I thought about just building one without tracing from the original, my hesitation is firstly that my project SIII is also my daily driver so I was hoping that it would be easier to switch it out over a long weekend, and secondly I wanted to make it as original as possible (minus the gremlins). Or though saying that the lucas electrical system is pretty evil. So I couldn't really make it any worse :). My hope is that a detailed plan would be helpful for anyone else in the same situation. Mongoswede is it my understanding that some of your extra wire is for sale? :)