PDA

View Full Version : window track removal

stonefox
02-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I've removed the window lock and the trim on the stationary side.What's holding those tracks in place?How are they removed?
On another note,in a real old RN catalog I saw replacement door frame bottoms.I dont see them on the site now ,are they NLA or did I over look them?
Thanks

Edit : Found securing screws under felt

milhouse
02-12-2012, 12:04 PM
We just got finished redoing the window tracks for the front windows earlier this week. The tracks were originally held in by very small screws, screwed into the inner corners of the tracks. They tend to be a little difficult to find and are often rusty - you may have to drill them out. You should be able to find them by feeling inside the track with your finger.

TeriAnn
02-12-2012, 01:53 PM
If it helps, I have a web page for replacing the rear sliding windows.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRsideWindow.htm

lincoln lass
02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
And a very useful site it is Teriann.

I have just passed this on to one of our members on landrovernet who has asked the same question from deepest darkest Johannesburg.

siii8873
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Sean,
what are you working on now? Those window tracks are a PITA.

TedW
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
An important decision when removing old window tracks is choosing their replacements. Look closely at a new piece of Genuine window track and you will likely see rust forming on the inner reinforcement. So they begin rusting before they are even installed.

Rocky Mountain makes a superb (IMO) rubber window track that won't rust - nor, like the genuine ones, will it grow moss (once I even saw a young maple tree growing out of a rear track).

Another option is to go to a marine store and buy some stainless window track designed for marine (salt water) conditions. I did this 10 years ago, and they still look new. The price wasn't bad, either - especially considering that they are the last ones I will need to buy (same for the Rocky Mountain ones).

Just my $0.02...........................

stonefox
02-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Sean,
what are you working on now? Those window tracks are a PITA.

I'm stripping down all the stuff that I want to have galvied. Door frames, Bonnet frames, body capping, at least one bulkhead maybe two, a few rad panels ,windshields.I'm hoping to have 2or 3 trucks worth of parts done at once.
I'm working on a dip tank design now so I can derust and depaint everything ahead of time. I found out last year that sand blasting alone misses alot of areas.
Ted - thanks I was looking a the RM ones as well .I've got about 8 doors to do so I 'd like to maybe find it in bulk if possible.The marine angle maybe the way to go.

CRiordan01
02-14-2012, 07:41 AM
I have been looking at the RM rear windows as well; they look pretty solid. Curious though - has anyone seen rear windows with screens? My dogs are generally in the back of my vehicle, and are prone to hanging uncomfortably far out the windows. Thanks and good luck with the install. Terriann's site does have a very good walkthrough on the replacement and install of the RM tracks.