PDA

View Full Version : Lost High Range

Escargo
02-13-2012, 06:31 PM
This evening while rolling thru a green light, I downshifted to 2nd, let out the clutch and had no power to the wheels. No grinding or funny noises. I pulled off the road, luckily. Abit later I thought to try 4 wheel or low range and found I could engage low range to move, but I didn't feel like going 8 miles home in low. It's a 64 lla shorty with the "new" high ratio transfer case, maybe 2000 miles on it. Any thoughts?
Hans

JimCT
02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
I bet you will find have front wheel drive if you engage 4high

Escargo
02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
That's what I initially thought....but The 4 wheel lever would not stay down and engage.

I Leak Oil
02-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Sounds like a linkage issue.

73series88
02-14-2012, 06:04 AM
yeh
make sure nothings in the way
i was riding around before i got the lever boots on.
a ratchet had worked its way down the hole and popped the shifter into neutral. and was was keeping me from putting it back into gear.
quick fix for me.
aaron

Escargo
02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Nothing as simple as that, darnit. It did go into 4High this morning and got me home. I don't know why it didn't want to last night. Must be the half-shaft. Any recommendations on what to put back in there? I can't believe one broke just with normal hard surface driving.
Hans

I Leak Oil
02-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Could very well be a half shaft but that has nothing to do with your range lever not working right. Have you tried it in 2wd high range yet to see if it's working again?

Les Parker
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Hans,

Let us know how it all pans out.

Terrys
02-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Nothing as simple as that, darnit. It did go into 4High this morning and got me home. I don't know why it didn't want to last night. Must be the half-shaft.
I've never heard of a broken halfshaft repairing itself. Must be bionic. They don't always go with a bang either.

JimCT
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
do not think he meant it repaired itself, but that he got in into 4-high and now has a nice FWD rover

Moose
02-14-2012, 05:46 PM
To get it to stay in 4WD, push the yellow knob down and hold it, then pull the red knob back into low range, then forward into high range. The yellow knob will hopefully stay down. After not being used for some time, my 88 would exhibit the same symptoms and repeating this little procedure a couple times would free things up again.

As for those pesky half-shafts, sometimes if they are already tired, it doesn't take much at all to snap one.

Brett

Terrys
02-14-2012, 07:33 PM
It did go into 4High this morning and got me home. I don't know why it didn't want to last night. Must be the half-shaft.
So Jim, are you saying this makes sense to you?

JimCT
02-15-2012, 03:54 PM
in 4 high with a broken half shaft you still have front wheel drive

Terrys
02-16-2012, 06:20 AM
in 4 high with a broken half shaft you still have front wheel drive No Kidding? Wow, the things you learn after 40 years and as many Land Rovers.
What I was talking about was the fact that it WOULDN'T go into 4H the night before, but now WOULD, Therefore his assumption was it must be a halfshaft.

SafeAirOne
02-16-2012, 08:05 AM
No Kidding? Wow, the things you learn after 40 years and as many Land Rovers.
What I was talking about was the fact that it WOULDN'T go into 4H the night before, but now WOULD, Therefore his assumption was it must be a halfshaft.

I don't think this needs explaining, but the halfshaft diagnosis was presumably the result of now being able to put the transfer case in 4 high and motivate the vehicle (implied), and not the mere fact that it now properly shifted into 4 high.

Structurally speaking, your'e right. There should have been some sort of connection between 2 seemingly separate, disconnected thoughts in the same paragraph...

SalemRover
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Sounds like 4WD has not been used in a while and it was just munged up. Either that or he is too embarrassed to tell us that the FWH's were not locked last night. My money is on a half shaft, I have been subject to ninja halfshaft brakes before.

-Jason

I Leak Oil
02-16-2012, 01:10 PM
..... I have been subject to ninja halfshaft brakes before.

I think the Rover Ninja's live in your garage lately...

SalemRover
02-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I think the Rover Ninja's live in your garage lately...

The black oil stains they leave give them away. Wish they would stop pissing on my floor.

Escargo
02-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Airsafe, you're right on this one. I don't have unlocking hubs, just have not used 4wd in awhile and it needed some persuading. Haven't had time to pull the wheels yet but everything points to the halfshaft, especially letting out the clutch while turning a corner hard(according to Les) and being able to move in front wheel drive.
Thanks much everyone, Hans

I Leak Oil
02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
The black oil stains they leave give them away. Wish they would stop pissing on my floor.

Ahhh...so they're drinking your Guiness too?