PDA

View Full Version : Disco Purchase

Ncrover725
02-13-2012, 08:33 PM
I currently own a 1971 IIA 109 and a 2008 Nissan Titan. The Nissan pretty much sits since the 109 has been my daily driver since August. My wife out of no where says "Why dont you sell the Titan, buy a disco, and use the rest of the money to pay off some credit card debt?" So with that on the table I have never been a Disco owner. I have a few questions as I look to purchase one. After some research it looks like the 1996 and 1997s were pretty reliable and share a buch with the Defender. Is that true? I am looking to purchase a vehicle that is not to complicated to repair and is moderately reliable to get me to and from work with the 109 as a back up. I am leaning towards an older Disco 1 as opposed to a Disco 2 based of fewer electrical bits and pieces. Am I correct with this logic? Do you guys have any advice for someone looking to purchase a Disco 1?

Terrys
02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
I've owned a couple D1s and drive a Defender, do offhand, I can't think of any similarities apart from the LT-230 transfer case (different ratios) The D1 of those years has a GEMS injected 4.0, and only the '97 Defender 90 had GEMS.
D1s are pretty stout provided you can find one that isn't rusty, something Nissans are known for also. Most D1s of that vintage should be in the $2500 range, or less, but there was one for sale in my town a while back at $3700, and I honestly have to say it was worth it; less that 75K showing and no rust.

Ncrover725
02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
How do you compare the d1 to a d2 as far as value?

canyonero
02-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I can't speak to much about KBB or replacement costs, but the D2 has more room and is a bit wider (I think). I feel the D2 looks more balanced because of its added length, but I'm partial to the later '99-'03 models. I would imagine that over time the cost of replacement parts will line up just like the Series II-III parts do, of course, I haven't had to source those for a while..If I'm not wrong, you got your series just down the road from me in Maine, so if you're willing to travel even further, Colorado has a TON of Discos, (or even Range Rovers:rolleyes:) all vintages, that would offer minimal rust and hopefully a decent price tag. I got a five year old D2 fully kitted with only 20,000 miles for almost nothing, and that was in '04, so there are people willing to part with great trucks for not too much money. FWIW.

msggunny
02-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Regardless of what you get, get one WITHOUT sun roofs, and with the minimal electronic gadgetry possible.

I have both, and to be honest I love each one differently.

If you want one you can mess with and not worry about "emission testing", get a pre 96 D1.

It pains me to say this as I would love to buy it if I knew what was going to happen after I retire, but there is a 94 or 95 D1 with a 200Tdi for sale there in NC. Its a good looking truck and reasonably priced.

There is also a guy near Raligh with a 97 XD with a 300Tdi for sale but I am not sure of the OBDII implications.

The one with 200tdi was about 12K and the 300tdi is around 15K. Not bad considering the amount of effort put into them to convert them.

PM or email me if you want more info on them.

Ncrover725
02-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Gunny,
I saw those and they are a bit more than I wanted to spend. I am looking for somethig around the 4K mark. I would love a diesel though at some point. The only way my wife is agreeing to this is if I sell my Titan and use that cash to pay off bills. She gave me the disco budget and is standing firm.

AU_88
02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
I had a DII for 11 years and it was nice to drive, but it seemed like it always needed a new sensor or something. The Service Engine Soon light would come on at the drop of a hat. My D1 is a 98, and seems like a great truck thus far. I like the lack of bosch crap. The D1 seats are more comfy to me, and the driving experience is pretty similar, but the DII has more room and nicer interior for the most part. Also, my DII needed a new engine at 94k miles which sucked.

SGFMORover
03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Looove my D1 ('95 - 196,000 on original engine and still going strong), just beware of any "quirks" when test driving or anything that looks wet and leaky on the underside..... my only complaint with mine is the electrical nightmares - nonstop.... had water leaking into the dash when purchased and got in too deep a couple times. and yes I've noticed a LOT of parts that match defender parts on my 95.