PDA

View Full Version : Transfer box - output shaft

Max(SD)
02-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I am stuck.

I am having difficulty taking the gears in the transfer box attached to the output shaft. I need to replace the output shaft and can not get it out. I notice that the worm gear is still attached, is there a way to get that off, it seems in the various books it looks like it comes off but I can not figure out how to do that.

I will try to post a photo in a bit.

Max(SD)
02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Photos

Max(SD)
02-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Update, I did get the worm gear off, and need to get the forward bearing off. The books talk about "Packing Piece" to drive the front bearing race.

Can someone telling me what this "Packing Piece" is?

Thank you.

SafeAirOne
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Can someone telling me what this "Packing Piece" is?

This, for example: http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?782-Specialty-Tools-to-Loan-Tools-Needed&p=11604&viewfull=1#post11604

Max(SD)
02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the link, now I know what to look for. Any idea where I can get one of those?

SafeAirOne
02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the link, now I know what to look for. Any idea where I can get one of those?

I just made it out of a HUGE washer from Fastenal. If you PM your mailing address to me, I'll loan it to you.

I also have the bearing races that I removed from the transfer case when I replaced the bearing assemblies. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one to use, but that's what they show as the "packing piece" example in the bible.

Max(SD)
02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Mark, thanks for the offer, I ended up taking it to a local shop they popped out the race for me and cleaned out the transfer case. Will be putting in an order to our host in the morning and get this box put together and then start working on the main gearbox.

SafeAirOne
02-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Will be putting in an order to our host in the morning and get this box put together and then start working on the main gearbox.

Too bad it's impossible to really know your speedo housing shim requirements BEFORE you order your parts. That saves you from possibly having to re-order a shim once you get all the new internal parts installed.

I found that I had enough of the small and medium shims that if I only ordered a .040" shim, I could make just about any combo up to .100".

Note that you'll also have to figure out a way to measure the 4 to 6-pound rolling resistance of the output shaft in order to correctly calculate the speedo shim pack thickness.

Most of the fish scales around here measure up to 50 pound fish (Yeah! I wish...), making them absolutely useless when you're measuring a few pounds on the bottom of the scale.

I ended up cracking open a cheapo Walmart fish scale (the one with the circular dial and pointer), yanking out the 2 stiff balance springs and replacing them with much softer springs that I found at...Home Depot.

Then, using a kitchen scale, I filled up an empty milk jug with water till it weighed 2 lbs, hooked it up to the modified fish scale and marked the face where the "new" 2 pounds was. I then repeated the process with 4 pounds of water in the jug.

When I measured the rolling resistance of the output shaft, I only needed the dial to be between the 2 marks I made to know it was right.