PDA

View Full Version : New here! Towing a 88 question.

Whiterabbit
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi all! Fix'n to look at a 69 SWB 88 a couple hundred miles from me and if I get it I'm planning to tow dolly it back home. From what I've found on this site is transfer in neutral and trans in 4th? Why not put the trans in neutral also? To spin the gears and keep the bearings lubed?
This is all dependant on me liking what I see when I check it out. Probably some frame rot,bird nest wiring,jerry rigged stuff,some rot in the bulkhead,Pitt Bull livinig in the cab,etc,etc,....Then again it could be mint condition like it rolled off the show room floor.:rolleyes:
Always loved the Land Rovers and I guess it's now or never. $2500 bucks for a driver/project isn't too bad I guess.;)
Anyhow, nice forum with alot of knowledge ya'll got here. (I'll be needing that) :D
Thanks

yorker
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes you can do that or just remove the rear driveshaft.

I Leak Oil
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Trust me, just remove the rear drive shaft. I once had a 109" drop into low range and try to climb up the dolly and into the back seat of our cherokee! Was quite exciting!

It's 8 fasteners, just remove it.....

Whiterabbit
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Guess they're 6mm bolts? Couple of 10mm combo wrenches and a ratchet/socket to break it loose?
Found a U haul car trailer for the same price. Might go that route. Gonn'a drag it with a V6 Tacoma, it should do it.

galen216
02-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Just do the 4 at the diff and tie up the driveshaft in the frame. If you're going to tow dolly it undo the driveshaft.

SafeAirOne
02-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Trust me, just remove the rear drive shaft. I once had a 109" drop into low range and try to climb up the dolly and into the back seat of our cherokee! Was quite exciting!

Ha! Mine did the same thing the very first time I dollied it home except the front wheels were pretty well strapped down to the dolly. Happened while I was at a red light. Pretty entertaining, having to rev the heck out of the tow vehicle once the light turned green so I could drag my new prize off to the side of the road with both rear wheels locked up and screetching. Ahh...fond memories of my first roadside fix with this Rover.

WhiteRabbit--The propshaft nuts/bolts aren't 10mm. They're larger. Bring the whole tool kit.

achtung
02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Here in Massachusetts any vehicle that touches the road must be registered, inspected and insured, which makes using a tow dolly only legal when the vehicle meets that criteria. I assume thats not the case in your state.

siiirhd88
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
The driveshaft flange bolts should be 3/8 UNF find thread with nylock nuts. Both the bolt head and nut should be 9/16" wrench size. Sometimes a socket with a flex joint can fit onto the nuts or bolts on the driveshaft side, but a wrench will be needed for the diff side. There is a special socket / extension made to fit the driveshaft side fittings, but you don't really need it.

Bob

Guess they're 6mm bolts? Couple of 10mm combo wrenches and a ratchet/socket to break it loose?
Found a U haul car trailer for the same price. Might go that route. Gonn'a drag it with a V6 Tacoma, it should do it.

mrdoiron
02-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes you can do that or just remove the rear driveshaft.
Agree, I lost the rear drive shaft totally pulling a 1948 Willy's home when it decided to drop into gear...sheared off. Removal is a good play.

Whiterabbit
02-16-2012, 06:03 PM
WOW! Learning something today. I thought it being British that it would be all metric.:) Or worse, Witworth.
Reserved a dolly (for a '75 CJ5:sly:)so I'll be disconnecting the drive shaft at the axle. Bringing some tools and cord to tie up the shaft.
Man they will stick it to you for a one way rental vs a local return. I'll be dragging the dolly there and back. Sure hope it comes back loaded not empty. I'll post a pic of it if I get it.:cool:
Thanks all.

Skookumchuck
02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
good luck and welcome to the addiction:D

LR Max
02-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Good luck! Where are you picking it up from? I see you are also in Georgia (I'm up here in the big city).

On the tow dolly, after putting it on the dolly, drive about a mile then re-tighten. Also FYI, U-haul wheel straps are kinda small. I remember having to use a separate length of strap since the one provided wasn't long enough to go over the 7.50x16 tires I had (dunno if I had a short one or not). Either way, throwing in some extra straps isn't a bad idea and won't take up too much space compared to how much you will need them if you do! (of course I will try to talk you into a trailer! Penske Trailers are nice)

On renting the dolly, inspect before you leave. A lot of equipment is crap and you can reject it before you take it. TRUST ME THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT because crappy equipment is crap when you are towing.

If the vehicle wasn't registered in Georgia and you get the "VIN VERIFICATION" letter in the mail when you go to get your title, shoot me a PM. I recently went through that with my TVR and can give you some help.

For disconnecting the rear driveshaft, bring your 3/8" normal sized sockets and extensions. Disconnecting the driveshaft at the diff end can take be a little bit of a pain since everything is tight in there. Rotate the driveshaft to get better access to the bolts (can't remember if its easier to get to the top one or the bottom one). When you tie off the driveshaft, make sure you tie it off so half of the driveshaft doesn't slip off the slip joint and fly off the interstate. I can tell you from experience, this makes you say many 4 letter words.

I've always been told that when you are dragging a trailer to pick up a vehicle, drop the trailer about a block away and show up trailer-less. If you show up with a trailer, then the seller is like, "Oh this guy wants the vehicle, I won't negotiate on price". So then you can't haggle. Now I've heard this from guys back in the day buying/selling/trading high end restored american muscle, but I figure it applies to anything. So yeah, bring a bike cable lock/chain to lock the wheels so it won't get stolen.

Good luck and enjoy having a series stare at you the entire way back. Oh, and make sure all the doors are FULLY closed before you hit the highway. That'll bring a surprise to ya :D

Les Parker
02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Or,you could take the RHR 1/2 shaft out, plug the hole and you should be fine.

:D

Whiterabbit
02-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Picking it up in Fla. I live near Sav Ga. Hope it wasn't a costal truck. Salt water and salty air is not kind on metal down there. Bringing a few extra straps along just in case.
It has a clear Fla. papers so thats a plus. I build motorcycles and Johny Law knows me well, always over verifying vin numbers:thumb-up: for thoes old bikes with bill of sales only.
Sold my old truck yesterday so now I have the $$ to get it but man o man I hope it doesn't need a whole new frame. Anything else I can handle, I'm a welding/machine shop instructor for Uncle Sam.:D Fingers crossed!
A Land Rover is on my "bucket list" of vehicles I've always wanted.
Thanks for the good ideas and info!

SafeAirOne
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Also FYI, U-haul wheel straps are kinda small. I remember having to use a separate length of strap since the one provided wasn't long enough to go over the 7.50x16 tires I had (dunno if I had a short one or not).

Good info--I forgot all about the time I had to air down the front tires to get the straps to fit on safely. Really sucked pushing the disabled rover around with the deflated tires once I got it off the dolly.

Skookumchuck
02-17-2012, 04:11 PM
If the trailer is not much more to rent I would go with that, a lot more ease of mind, I had a hitch break on a tow dolly once and let me tell you that was a few interesting seconds.

stonefox
02-17-2012, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE I hope it doesn't need a whole new frame. Anything else I can handle, I'm a welding/machine shop instructor for Uncle Sam.:D Fingers crossed!
A Land Rover is on my "bucket list" of vehicles I've always wanted.
Thanks for the good ideas and info![/QUOTE]
Hope you find the frame in good shape,but aside from the cost, swapping out a frame for a shiny new galvie frame is not difficult.
I hear ya on the " bucket list", but be careful ,it starts with one and then its down hill from there..... Or so I hear :D

Whiterabbit
02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Stonefox. :eek:8 Rovers? Really, they're Rovers not Crack!:nono: LOL!
I'm not one to talk,the wife wonders why I "need" 5 motorcycles.:p
I'm a loner, so all the work is done by me,myself and I(the 3 stooges),don't think I or my back or wallet can take a frame swap. I sold my Toyota FJ40 'cause it needed a frame swap. I have allot more resources now though so maybe. Hmmmmm.
Well I gotta' get it first. Off in the morning I go!:D

LR Max
02-19-2012, 09:29 PM
And then...

http://i2.listal.com/image/1187316/500full.jpg

Whiterabbit
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
That was a waste of 50 bucks for trailer rental. :(

Les Parker
02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
So, you did not buy the Rover, then?

:confused:

Whiterabbit
02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Naw, I was smart enough to see a money pit and not fall in it. If it wasn't rotted then it was missing or bent/busted to hell. Every panel was corroded or mashed and beat out with a sledge hammer. The frame was a goner,whole bulkhead toast,doors panels and frames rotted, all wiring bypassed,it was a mess. Looked like it was nor cared for at all.

LR Max
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Well I applaud you for walking. Far too often people don't walk on something that could be a major problem. Then they end up with a 10 year project and all kinds of uselessness.

Keep your eyes open. There are plenty of decent Series trucks out there.

SafeAirOne
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
That was a waste of 50 bucks for trailer rental. :(

You didn't waste $50. You saved $10,000.

achtung
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
You didn't waste $50. You saved $10,000.

True Dat.

Whiterabbit
02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Rovers don't pop up that often in this region. People don't need them for the snow or mountains. Flat as a pancake and once every 10 years we get a flurry around here.:)

Terrys
02-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Or,you could take the RHR 1/2 shaft out, plug the hole and you should be fine.

:D
I guess we old men are the only ones who do that, Les. I take both out, and suff in a shop rag in each hole.