PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with Defender 130 driving experience/owner

PH4
02-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Looking at a Defender 130 and would really like any advice/thoughts from anyone who has owned or used the 130. Would be a daily driver. Engine is a TD5. Any advice appreciated.

ThePhotographer
02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
I've only driven one briefly, but it drove like a limo, very smooth. Plus it's an amazing looking and capable truck. I know one person who daily drives it, and I don't believe he'd ever get rid of it.

rwollschlager
02-19-2012, 07:23 PM
look over at d-90.com in the forum sections, this is a frequently discussed topic over there. Doug from Dividing Creek Rover Imports drives one, he might be able to answer any questions you might have.

-Rob

Calef
02-28-2012, 09:35 AM
I have a bit of experience driving a 127. The one I drive from time to time is a 200 TDI. I have always been impressed with the power, it does not seem too much pokier than my 110 with a 300 TDI. The ride is fantastic, the double cab is super convenient as is the truck bed. I did a 3 hour trip to retrieve a wood stove in it and it rode even better on the return leg with the 450 lbs. stove in the back.

The TD5 is not my favorite Defender engine. I drove a new TD5 a good bit in the early 2000s. It has most of the complexity of the Puma, with a fraction the benefit. The "drive by wire" electronic throttle felt disconnected and doggy... like you go deeper in the throttle and the engine does not react. The top end felt gutless and the speed is electronically limited. The power felt comparable to my 300 TDI (which has a full length intercooler and the boost turned up). Although the TD5 I drove was stock, I think you could "chip" it to get a bit more out of it. On the other hand the Puma is AWESOME! Snappy response, the electronic throttle does not feel weird at all. Technically I think the Puma and the TD5 make the same amount of HP, but the Puma makes more torque and it does it in such a way that it feels much quicker and more powerful.

Back to the TD5, Fleet users in Africa and other remote regions really had trouble with the TD5 coping with poor fuels etc. So I would not get it if you plan on moving to the bush. Stick with a 300 TDI. All in all, not a bad motor, I just think the 300 TDI and the Puma are better.

Motor aside, I might choose a TD5 vehicle over a 2 or 300 TDI vehicle, simply for the other upgrades they made over the years. I liked the interior and dash of the TD5 I drove and I know the front axles and brakes were upgraded. Plus a TD5 is bound to be a newer vehicle less apt to have old truck woes.

All said, I think you would be really happy with a TD5 Defender 130. The real question is legality, I have heard of a few stories of happy "grey market" owners that had their truck for years until they got in a fender bender and customs showed up a week later and confiscated the truck... yielding an an unhappy no longer owner.

kels
02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm a 130 (TD5) owner, it's my daily driver. I live in Sydney (Aus) - its the worst road network in this country (tiny, windy streets everywhere) and I have no dramas getting the beast around.

A rear-view camera is a must.

They are lower geared than a 110 because of the extra towing and carrying capacity, so not as economical on the highway as the 110. You can fix that with an overdrive or new gears in the transfer case.

I wont go back to a 110 now, I love my 130.

Cheers,

Adam

texrover
03-20-2012, 11:09 AM
So what's the definition of 'gray market'?

I'm looking at a rig built up from a D90 donor. My concern is I hit someone and get into the situation mentioned above.

Other than buying the rare jewel--an original 25 year old factory-built 130--what are the 'legal' options?

ThePhotographer
03-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Edit: Nevermind this message...

ThePhotographer
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
So what's the definition of 'gray market'?

I'm looking at a rig built up from a D90 donor. My concern is I hit someone and get into the situation mentioned above.

Other than buying the rare jewel--an original 25 year old factory-built 130--what are the 'legal' options?

You can't actually buy a 25 year old 130. You could get a 127, but the 130s weren't available until I believe late 1990, which would be illegal. Originally 127s were made by welding in an additional 17" to a 110 chassis, so maybe you could do that :thumb-up:

Broadstone
03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Grey market refers to vehicles are legally vague. Such as bringing in "parts trucks". While definitively not legal or illegal, the border is grey and is open to interpretation. 1987 and older are legal right now, newer parts trucks and trucks brought in for various exemptions would be considered grey market.

Grey Market Vehicle —
Vehicle previously registered or titled outside of the U.S. and may not comply with U.S. safety and emissions standards.
Do not be confused by this term. Grey market does not have anything to do with legality of a vehicle or the year of build. It simply means a vehicle built for use in a foriegn market then imported to the USA.

ThePhotographer
03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
My mistake, I was misinformed :o

texrover
03-21-2012, 04:47 PM
You can't actually buy a 25 year old 130. You could get a 127, but the 130s weren't available until I believe late 1990, which would be illegal. Originally 127s were made by welding in an additional 17" to a 110 chassis, so maybe you could do that :thumb-up:

Well yes, good point Photo; sorry for the vagaries and lumping them all under 130--which is similar to folks calling all 110's "Defenders" :)

I was just curious if the vehicles being confiscated was b/c they were 'gray market' and didn't meet safety requirements, or if it was due to newer body parts being used in the build up, or something else?

Maryland 110
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
look over at d-90.com in the forum sections, this is a frequently discussed topic over there. Doug from Dividing Creek Rover Imports drives one, he might be able to answer any questions you might have.

-Rob

I do and have for years. I actually have two @ the moment, a Defender 200 tdi, and my 300 tdi. There are no differences between a 127 and 130 other than what land rover called them-ie nomenclature, no physical /mechanical differences. These early trucks were UK registered as 110's as they used 110 VIN's and were all built by the special vehicles division to order-they were not production vehicles. I have made sure that when I title them here the title reads 130. I'm doing a full frame off restoration on the 1987 and will be galvanizing the frame, bulkhead, t posts etc. Truck is being built for sale if anyone's interested. Happy to discuss legal importation with interested parties having done hundreds.

Doug@
DividingCreekImports.com

derekchace
03-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Doug can we see some pics of the 130 being built? Also any idea on price range so I can pass it along if any one calls looking for one.

greenroverguy
04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I am in British Columbia and have a 127/130 single cab with the 2.5 diesel turbo and an "Autolift" brand dumper box. I find that it is a very handy, general duty truck and I drive it a couple of times a week. The tipper box is great for hauling firewood and rover parts so if you are considering importing a regular cab I would recommend that dumper box addition. It isn't really fast but will cruise at 55mph without trouble and the ride is very smooth. It doesn't compare to Disco or RRC smooth but with the long wheel base it is a comfortable ride. I find the truck is quiter than any of the old series rigs I've had in the past and the small cab is easy to keep warm. Off-road it does alright as well. I took it out a few weeks ago up into the mountains along with a D90 and other than one tail-dragging session it went everywhere the 90 did without problem. The 2.5 turbo has lots of torque and has been a good engine for me but it has very low miles... if it were a high miler I would look at a 200 or 300 TDI swap as the 2.5 turbo was not the best rover diesel but for now my plan it to maintain the 2.5 and enjoy the ride.

Cheers, Rob

Maryland 110
04-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Doug can we see some pics of the 130 being built? Also any idea on price range so I can pass it along if any one calls looking for one.

Not yet still pulling it apart. I'll start the pictures when I have a pile of freshly galvanized oarts.

PH4
10-30-2012, 07:47 PM
What type of mileage can you expect out of the TD5? 300,000? 400,000?

Maryland 110
11-08-2012, 10:12 PM
They aren't known for longevity,especially if you coax more power out of them. Read up on them on a couple of the UK forums

http://www.defender2.net/forum/

http://forums.lr4x4.com/

and the fellows in Oz
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/

koltonstanley
11-22-2012, 08:57 AM
i drive a 130 TD5
its my daily driver and so far i LOVE it........
my only issue so far was really the starter.....replaced it once with a refurbished starter that lasted about a month....now i got a new one in and so far so good.
if your in a cold climate my only other creature comfort issue would be the heat........there is no heat unless you are driving at highway speeds....then heat is great.......once i slow down the air cools right off......
my truck is just over 180,000 Km.........

kellymoe
12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
I have owned my RHD 130 crew cab for about 10 years now and for the last 8 years it was my daily driver here in Los Angeles. It's a 3.5 litre V8 with LT85. I love driving and the only complaint I have is that in the summer it can get pretty hot without AC. I sound deadened it soon after I bought it and it help a lot with engine and road noise. The window mechanisms were shot so I rplaced them with a power window kit off Ebay for $90, it was an cheap easy solution to and expensive problem. All in all I still love driving it but now it seems to only get driven on long vacations, I need to start paying more attention to her.

kellymoe
12-12-2012, 09:56 PM
What was happening with the starter? Did it just give out or did it give out slowly over time?

PH4
12-13-2012, 12:09 PM
I have owned my RHD 130 crew cab for about 10 years now and for the last 8 years it was my daily driver here in Los Angeles. It's a 3.5 litre V8 with LT85. I love driving and the only complaint I have is that in the summer it can get pretty hot without AC. I sound deadened it soon after I bought it and it help a lot with engine and road noise. The window mechanisms were shot so I rplaced them with a power window kit off Ebay for $90, it was an cheap easy solution to and expensive problem. All in all I still love driving it but now it seems to only get driven on long vacations, I need to start paying more attention to her.

Thank you for the input. Sometimes I feel as if I am chasing a white whale but, hopefully, I will be able to find what I am looking for eventually.

koltonstanley
12-16-2012, 07:49 PM
my first starter just stopped working.....one minute it was fine and then just click click click but that was it..........long story short i bought a reconditioned one and had a sorta friend sorta mechanic replace it for me........turned out to not be such a good idea.
It wasn't installed properly and the top bolt was stripped out.......when i turned the key over the teeth were not making good contact.....worked ok for a week and then started getting harder and harder to start till it just wouldn't start at all anymore.........when we pulled the starter out it had 3 teeth left on it. anyway. new starter and its been perfect since.

Maryland 110
12-23-2012, 07:12 PM
i drive a 130 TD5
its my daily driver and so far i LOVE it........
my only issue so far was really the starter.....replaced it once with a refurbished starter that lasted about a month....now i got a new one in and so far so good.
if your in a cold climate my only other creature comfort issue would be the heat........there is no heat unless you are driving at highway speeds....then heat is great.......once i slow down the air cools right off......
my truck is just over 180,000 Km.........

Something is wrong with your truck if this is the case. Try disconnecting the hoses going into your heater and flushing it out. The heater tends to be the high point on a td5 cooling system and low coolannt levels results in little to no heat @ lower rpm .

koltonstanley
12-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Something is wrong with your truck if this is the case. Try disconnecting the hoses going into your heater and flushing it out. The heater tends to be the high point on a td5 cooling system and low coolannt levels results in little to no heat @ lower rpm .

hmmm yeah im starting to get the feeling something is up.......everyone keeps saying it shouldnt be the way it is.
its super hot and great when im driving along on a highway but as soon as i get off the highway within 2 minutes air is cold again........im gonna look into it a bit......
on another note, you have a 130 coming up for sale soon?
im interested.......

nathanwind
12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Kolton...you selling yours already?? Or just adding a 2nd to the stable?

koltonstanley
12-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Kolton...you selling yours already?? Or just adding a 2nd to the stable?

no no LOVE the 130......want another.....although id sell to upgrade.......

koltonstanley
12-30-2012, 05:14 PM
so i cant belive im even going to tell you guys this but i checked my coolant level today and it was EMPTY!! im talking EMPTY......truck never showed any signs OTHER THEN NO HEAT!
I filled it up today and PRESTO I HAVE HEAT!!! ive been driving around freezing for the last month and all i needed to do was add some coolant.......
SO now i love the 130 even more!!!

nathanwind
12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Just the reservoir was empty? Or the radiator? In assuming the former....but keep an eye out for where you may have a coolant leak as its a closed system and shouldn't disappear.

Had you checked it since you bought the vehicle?

koltonstanley
12-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Just the reservoir was empty? Or the radiator? In assuming the former....but keep an eye out for where you may have a coolant leak as its a closed system and shouldn't disappear.

Had you checked it since you bought the vehicle?

it was just the reservoir.......but i mean it was the reservoir AND some......
I never checked it since i bought it......drove it on some pretty hot days and the temp guage never went above normal.......
I will definitely keep an eye on it but i have not seen any leaks...and no signs of leaks....other then there not being any coolant anyway......
we shall see!

Maryland 110
02-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Kolton,
I know you sold the truck but Td5's have a myriad of places where coolant can leak like the O rings on the fuel cooler etc.

koltonstanley
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
yes you are correct......after running the truck with coolant in it i eventually did discover a it leaking from one of the small oil cooler lines......i think......
heat worked good once i took care of the coolant issue.