PDA

View Full Version : Trans leak...a lot!

Lance
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
This subject has probably been beat to death, I tried the search but didn't find an answer so here it is. I can drive around town & have no leak(well a very small drip), I can idle in the driveway and no leak, But when I drive on the freeway then park I get a big leak. It is gear oil and looks like it is coming out of the bellhousing. I noticed today that there is about a 15' long solid stream of oil behind the Rover leading up to where it is parked and about a 1/8 to 1/4 cup puddle right under the bellhousing. I am leaning towards venting problems, thinking of installing a larger vent. Any thoughts? Is this common?

mearstrae
02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a vent problem, possibly coupled with a bad front trans seal and/or worn input shaft. My trans [LT95] has an oil pump built in (so my oil is somewhat pressurized), not sure which trans you have, not all had these pumps I understand.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

dabawei
02-23-2012, 01:47 AM
Isn't, over filled with gear oil? Therefore at high rotation the over filled oil is leaked.

Not sure just guessing :)

SalemRover
02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
You have to trace the source of the leak first. I find that the detent springs and selector forks see alot more oil at highway speeds than casual driving around town. If the front seal on the transmission is leaking the drips would accumulate out of the bellhousing wading plug. The whole detent spring seal is a cruel joke, and I have yet to find a decent way to seal that up. If it is dripping off the drain plug of the transmission then I would guess selector forks, detent spring seals, and maybe the top cover itself. There is a thread buried somewhere about selector fork 5/8" heater hose seals for the selector forks that works well.

If you have a SII transmission then there is a small spring holding the breather in place on the top of the tranny that will cause lots of leaks. Converting to a peened in breather as found on later transmissions will help that issue. Keep us posted and good luck!

-Jason

Lance
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a series 3 trans.(synchro) I will take a look this weekend, take the cover off again and drive it around. It's real wet at the bell housing. Hoping an extra vent will get me by for now.

achtung
02-23-2012, 03:16 PM
There is a small hole in the filler cap that acts as a vent, if plugged it could cause these symptoms.

Ncrover725
02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I know this is a ghetto response but I added some Lucas Oil Stabilizer to my Santanna overdrive that leaked like the recent BP oil spill and it has slowed it down a bit and its a bit quieter. I also and looking at venting that here in a bit.

SafeAirOne
02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
There is a small hole in the filler cap that acts as a vent, if plugged it could cause these symptoms.

Filler cap?