PDA

View Full Version : 64 Series IIA fuse blowing

wrightonman
02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
UH oh...
The fuse for brake lights (tail lights & headlights still work), heater fan, fuel gauge & turn sigs keeps blowing as soon as the ignition key is switched on.
I have no idea where to start on this issue.

I have needed a new fuel level sending unit for quite some time, the gauge used to remain on "F" until the tank got close to empty then the needle would violently slam from "F" to "E" repeatedly until filled up again.

Do you suppose the sending unit has finally gone kaput entirely and is now causing a short?

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

It's getting a little warmer here and can't wait to get Olivia back on the road.

Thanks in advance!
Andy

east high
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
The fuse issue is separate from your gas gauge issue. There's a short somewhere in the circuit. Your best bet is to test each of those elements one at a time. Unplug everything until you're able to turn the ignition on without popping a fuse, then plug them back into the circuit one at a time. You'll run into the problem soon enough.

My fuel gauge behaves exactly as yours; pegged at F until it empties down to around 3 gallons, then it starts flopping around. It's a new sender too. It's probably a bad ground, but I haven't been bothered to trace it down. I just think of the flopping as an early warning light.

I Leak Oil
02-24-2012, 09:13 AM
You need to get a wiring diagram for your vehicle and start tracing wires. Can't just assume it's this part or that part. As you can see, there are only a couple fuses used. That means many components are using a single fuse. Wish there was a simple web answer but unfortunately you have to do the leg work on this one.

Or, take out the fuse, put a nail in it's place and look for the smoke!:eek:

Howsomever
02-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Andy,

That should be a 35 amp fuse. You could put a small dash type 12vdc light in in place of the fuse. All accessories off the light should not light. If something is on or you have a short the lamp will glow or be bright. As stated earlier you will need to disconnect each item till the lamp goes out.
Best to study a wiring diagram and solicit some help if needed.

wrightonman
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
Best regards!

wrightonman
03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
I think I got real lucky this time; a good thorough cleaning of the fuse box assembly and connections fixed my Series' problem!

We've been all around Indianapolis tonight on this oddly warm (still winter) night, no electrical issues:thumb-up:

Thanks again for all of the helpful posts and suggestions!
Andy.