PDA

View Full Version : Odometer question

Partsman
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm about to buy a new speedometer cable for my 109 from our hosts, this has been broken for a number of years according to the PO. Does anyone know if the MASS DMV has any requirements for correcting the odometer reading once I get it working again? I know that the speedo and odometer work as I used the broken end of the cable in my drill to test them.

masonater
02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
My RRC has never had a working speedo cable since i bought it 12 years ago. I have never ran into a problem with the miles never changing. I had it on and off the road over the years and each time registering i gave the same milage as the years before. They didn't seem to care. I am not in the real world out here on island and our dmv is smaller than many walk-in closets but never had an issue. I would also not bother mentioning it unless specifically asked.

giftshopduane
02-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Ultimately Mass could care less, the only thing they care about is the $$$. In fact you can, no lie... walk into an RMV and register your vehicle under a fake name and address..they don't check. Your odometer will only be verified by your ins annually to make sure that if you get a reduced rate for limited mileage, so they can adjust your rate the following year if you are over. Mass RMV will fine your for not titling your vehicle within a specifed period of time, no doubt they will figure out sometime or somehow to tax you on the mileage you should be reporting, but at the moment write down what the odometer says, you will have to pay someone at sometime to verify and sign off that your odometer isn't correct and the paper trail will bite you in the arse sooner or later..when in doubt ignorance IS bliss and keep the state on a need to know basis.

Partsman
02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks, I was unsure what to do about it, I've always functioned on the less the government knows the better off I'll be. I just not sure if there was a requirement of reporting it, or if they required a mileage adjustment that would cost me money (that they would ultimately collect). If I had my druthers I'd just switch my plates from one vehicle to the next, but the State usually has some problems with that :rolleyes:

I Leak Oil
02-25-2012, 06:50 AM
On the back of the title there is an area to indicate that the odometer reading is incorrect. This only matters if you sell it and transfer the title. In the long run it won't matter because we all know that once you're in the Rover mob you don't get out!

Partsman
02-25-2012, 07:21 AM
On the back of the title there is an area to indicate that the odometer reading is incorrect. This only matters if you sell it and transfer the title. In the long run it won't matter because we all know that once you're in the Rover mob you don't get out!
True enough. But for those of us in Massachusetts, like you and I, though you can never be too sure of what the rules are with the DMV as they like to change the rules and not notify you until you get a fine of $2000 or what ever for breaking rules that were never there before. :sly: