PDA

View Full Version : missing railco wafer!

derek
02-25-2012, 06:23 PM
I lost one railco wafer

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/RNC253.JPG

Is there an alternate part that I could get at a local parts store or am I going to have to finish my project next weekend :(

Apis Mellifera
02-26-2012, 07:00 AM
The original piece is a phenolic disc about .125 inches in thickness. I can't think of any off-the-shelf parts that would be a direct replacement. I guess you could use some stacked fender washers from Lowes, but unless you absolutely needed to drive the truck, I'd just order the correct part and do it once rather than bodging it and then R&R the swivel pin again a few days later.

scatterling
02-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Derek,
where are you located?

derek
02-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Sacramento ca

giftshopduane
02-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Whats a Railco wafer? Is that like a feluginen pin or relative bearing grease?

Apis Mellifera
02-26-2012, 11:57 AM
It's a small biscuit that's served for tea and very high in fiber. Also a disc inserted in the Railco bush and under the swivel pin that acts as a bearing surface between the two. Found or sometimes not in later Series trucks.

slorocco
02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't run with out it. I also wouldn't use a fender washer. Steel on steel is not a good idea there. If you have to stuff something in there as a standby, I would try a piece of teflon or delrin.

I just had the whole liner replaced in mine but that was only because i have Stage1 parts and couldn't find a replacement quickly. Had a local machinist make up both the wafer and the cylindrical bushing that goes around the swivel pin. He decided to go nuts and machined the whole thing out of carbon fiber.

giftshopduane
02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Don't get me started on a Railco Bush :nono:

JSBriggs
02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Let me go dig in my pile of parts, I might have one...and I kind of local.

-Jeff

JSBriggs
02-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Ive got one. Sent you a PM.

-Jeff

Apis Mellifera
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Steel on steel is not a good idea there.

There's already steel on steel there; or at least on the lower bearing. Of course those are hardened pieces, but that's because that's where the load is. The upper railko washer is just there to preload the lower bearing. My SIII didn't have anything under the swivel pin when I got it. It was that way for at least a decade.

Only the proper part is the proper part, but in a pinch, the surface area of a fender washer would be OK. I wouldn't leave it in there long term and would only do it if I couldn't wait a few days for proper part. Moot point since it looks to be sorted.

I Leak Oil
02-27-2012, 08:02 AM
It's a small biscuit that's served for tea and very high in fiber.

Is that Kosher for our Jewish friends?:D

TedW
02-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Some aftermarket railco bushings (like mine) have the railco wafer already built in. I discovered this when I rebuilt my swivels: I added the wafer and the king pins stuck out an extra 1/8" or so.

Just saying.....:D

derek
02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
decided to order a new one and order a couple other parts. Thanks for your help!