PDA

View Full Version : bearing parts

Alk-3
02-26-2012, 10:52 PM
hey everyone.
When I grab either of the front wheels at noon and 6 and shake, I get a bit of movement (with the front end up on jack stands). I don't know if the amount of movement is normal or not, but I thought I should maybe take things apart and check it out.
I really would like to have the parts I need on hand when I take it apart because I need to drive my truck each day, so in order to inspect the bearings I need to take them all apart, find the worn parts, then reassemble everything while I wait for the replacment parts to arrive.. this time I thought I would ask for some help in deciding what the likely parts are that I will need, so I can order them now, then (hopefully) disassemble, and reassemble with new parts in hand.
so.. what should I order to correct the play and get everything back together? part numbers would be even more helpful as I may be completely unfamiliar with what all the parts are actually called.:confused:

antichrist
02-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Felt washer, hub seal, two hub bearings.
Do you get the same amount of play at 3 & 9? If not it could be really loose swivel pins.

I Leak Oil
02-27-2012, 04:56 AM
Ya, it could very well be a loose swivel pin in which case it could be as easy (and free) as removing some shim. I'd get another set of eyes to look underneath while you're moving the tire to see what exactly is loose.

Alk-3
02-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks guys. I get the same play all the way around.

I Leak Oil
02-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Sounds like wheel bearings but you could be unlucky enought to have a sloppy swivel pin and a bum tie rod end. I'd still recommend getting a look at it before ordering parts.
If it's the bearings then you may or may not need new ones. If they're good and just need to be repacked then I'd get the oil seal, the distance piece, cotter pin, felt seal, hub nut lock washer, grease and some black RTV or flange gasket material of your choice.