PDA

View Full Version : Living with an SE7

giftshopduane
02-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Anybody have some real world experience with carting kids around daily in an SE7 ser II? Its time to upgrade the family vehicle and can't bear to put my wife in a minivan. Cargo space aside. I think the forward facing jump seats will suit a 5 and 7 year fine, seems to me that all they were really designed for, certainly not a 6ft 225lb man. I missed on a backseat for my P38 for cheap (certainly would have been a challenge daily for the kids though, plus I'm not a fan of the rear facing seat... I'd rather not see it coming!)

roven
04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a 2001 se7 and my two kids, same age as yours loved sitting back there. And there were times I was glad they were back there. Mine were cool with it 'till middle school and then I took them out. More room for or luggage and stuff know. Still have them and are for sale. P.S. make sure the rear step is in order helps a lot.

1996trek4
04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
My wife drives our 2003 SE7 and the jump seats are invaluable. We have a 13,3 and 2 year old. With two Recaro car seats in the second row, there is not enough room for anyone to sit comfortably in the center. We use it for everything from soccer games, grocery shopping, off road treks-the lot...We are crossing the Great Divide this summer with it. Can't do that with a minivan. Tent on the roof and go:). It is the most versatile vehicle ever. In a pinch, I use the jump seats in my 98 LSE also, side facing in those, but the kids don't seem to care. Much more room in the back of the D2 though. That said, if off roading is your thing-get a 2004 as you will have a center diff lock meaning equal power is split between front and rear axles like the D1. For some reason, LR decided that the diff lock was not needed with traction control. In most circumstances, it isn't as the traction control is very aggressive. 1800rpm and when you lift a tire, it locks up. Only issue really is backing down a steep hill as the hill decent control is a bit fast. I'd prefer low gear and let the thing crawl down with front and rear axles slipping at the same speed for control purposes-think steep sand dunes. For power, 2003-2004 have the much more powerful 4.6L... Big difference between the old 4.0L... Other than that, do your homework. You've got a P38, same chassis and running gear on the D2 so all will be familiar. All trouble areas are the same so you know what to look for.

Gcsanders
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a 2001 se7 and my two kids, same age as yours loved sitting back there. And there were times I was glad they were back there. Mine were cool with it 'till middle school and then I took them out. More room for or luggage and stuff know. Still have them and are for sale. P.S. make sure the rear step is in order helps a lot.

How much are you aking for the rear seats, mine doesnt have em and I want them bad!

giftshopduane
06-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Got one I love it... 5 kids plus my wife and I, great for road trips.. I just picked up the SD rack and even a 3rd row jumpseat for my P38. All is good.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww24/giftshopduane/20120621_090530.jpg