PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox out

Max(SD)
02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Well, finally got the gearbox out of the car, I did it in two phases, the first was the transfer box and last night was the main gearbox.

While the box is out I will tear down and rebuild, what do you guys recommend to do with the clutch? How do I determine if the clutch is still in good order? Or do I just replace the clutch now since everything is out?

albersj51
02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
In my humble opinion, unless you KNOW the clutch was replaced recently I would replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out/clutch release bearing. Since its accessible, you may also look into getting the fly wheel resurfaced.

slorocco
03-01-2012, 01:38 PM
It's not absolutely necessary to replace the clutch components but, given the amount of work it takes to do it many folks just replace it while they are there.

Check the clutch disk for wear, if you can no longer see the grooves that are normally cut into the friction material, I would defintely replace it.

If you have been having clutch issues prior to disassembly, I'd also replace most of it.

Check the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces for the normal things like wear and signs of over heating.

Clutch release bearing, well depends on whether you have a serII/IIA or a series III. If it's the series III, I'd replace it, it's cheap enough.

Lance
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm with albersj51. I would replace everything, turn the flywheel. I have alway done that on all the vehicles I have owned if I had to do trans work. There is a lot of peace of mind later down the road nowing you did it right. And God forbid you ever sell it, it sounds good to the next guy that evrything is done.

4flattires
03-03-2012, 05:29 PM
How do I determine if the clutch is still in good order? Or do I just replace the clutch now since everything is out?

1. Post some pics.
2. How many miles a year do you drive this.

JimCT
03-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Is there a heavy duty Land Rover clutch?

Max(SD)
03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Just took the clutch off, not sure how deep the ridges should be, but it looks almost flush. So it seems that a new clutch is in order, it is a 9 inch diameter clutch.

As per mileage, I had been driving it daily since I purchased last March 2011, until the gearbox was not engaging last October. I would say 3-5 k miles per year.

Max(SD)
03-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Quick question, removing the flywheel housing to clean and renew seal, took the six bolts off, is there anything else holding this down, won't budge.

SafeAirOne
03-04-2012, 06:55 PM
The flywheel?

I can't remember if there are 2 locating pins to align the housing too, but a little gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet ought to help you out.

Max(SD)
03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I got the flywheel off, was trying to take the flywheel housing off to properly clean it, I took the six bolts off from the inside but not sure if there are other bolts that I am not seeing.

Also partially took apart the gearbox, and look what fell right out, how does that happen?

Max(SD)
03-04-2012, 07:40 PM
That is a broken Layshaft right?

Max(SD)
03-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I could use some help,

I have ordered most of the parts that I need and have run into a wall in locating the following two items. Can anyone help me out?

High Gear Wheel part # 218243
Output Shaft Rear Drive part # 235985

SafeAirOne
03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Presuming that you've exhausted the usual stateside sources:

lrseries.com lists the gear.

johncraddockltd.co.uk lists the other bit.

Other suppliers are out there. Just google "land rover' and the part number. Expect to deal with suppliers in the UK.

Max(SD)
03-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Great thanks, I have contacted most suppliers states side, there are a couple who are checking UK, but thanks for the direct names and links.