PDA

View Full Version : smiths vacuum gauge readings

john connelly
02-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Just acquired a used vintage smith vacuum gauge for my 1972 series 3 -88. Amazing how important this instrument can be to tune and diagose problems with your engine. Question- The instrument reads 9 (in.mg) without being connect to the intake manifold. When i bought the unit from the UK it read 0 in the picture. the previous owner confirmed that. The gauge was shipped via air mail- can the travel altitude have effected the reading set points/ calibration. shouldn't the gauge start at 0. Any advice would be helpful.

SafeAirOne
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Yes. Shipping by air mail in an unpressurized space may have tweaked the bellows or bourdon tube. It wasn't designed to operate in that environment. If the tube was capped, it could have really tweaked it.

Nisonger might be able to fix it.

john connelly
03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
thanks for the reply- just happens that shop is 30 min. from my work place. payed 10 dollars for the gauge (sucker for original equipment). just think it is important to keep theses rigs as original as possible. thanks john

SafeAirOne
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure a vacuum gauge was original equipment on series rovers. It is pretty cool though.

john connelly
03-02-2012, 07:57 AM
you are correct---- have three spots for gauges- original oil pressure- installed smith voltage gauge - 3 spot getting the smiths vacuum gauge- was going to install a smiths clock but i figured since i was driving a Landi - i would be late anyway- worth the delay every time.