PDA

View Full Version : Auto Dollie

1971Series88
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Does anyone on here use the Auto Dollies to move their Series around the garage? The ones that go under each wheel...

I am going to buy some, there are a plethora at various prices, and just wanted to check in with you guys to see if there are recommendations...

Also - what weight limit. I have a 71 Series 88 soft top.

knac1234
03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I bought a 4 pack on ebay with a total 6000 lb capacity to move my Hillman Imp sideways in the garage, allowing me to fit the Series in the garage during winter. Yes, they work, but, even though my Imp weighs just over 1500 lbs total, it is very difficult to move it alone around the garage (concrete floor).

This is likely due to both the quality of the dollies and it not been a perfectly smooth surface. So, since it's not often (beginning/end of winter), I get my wife to help push and it's easy.

I've heard of things called go-jacks that are supposed to be used by the pros and work great, but of course are astronomically more expensive!

FWIW
Julian

SafeAirOne
03-01-2012, 01:29 PM
When my 109 is going to be down for a long time, I put a pair under the rear wheels. This allows me to jockey the Rover around in the garage if necessary. They've held my 109 with a hard top without difficulty and once the dolly wheels are pointed in the direction you want to go, it rolls fairly easily. Sometimes you have to use a crowbar to start it moving till the wheels are pointed in the direction of travel.

knac1234
03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Mark,

That's a good point.....getting the dolly wheels in the right direction helps.

Julian

jac04
03-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I borrowed a set of cheapy Harbor Freight dollies from a friend at work. They can hold 1000 lbs each. Here they are:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-vehicle-dollies-67511.html

They worked great, and they worked even better after I lubed the wheels.

keithg
03-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I've had a set from Summit Racing for years and I've used them quite often. Currently they are under my '79 Ford F350 4x4 that weighs around 7000lbs. The casters haven't flat spotted and they roll fairly easy. It does help to have the casters pointed the correct direction first.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRM-M998002/

bkreutz
03-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I've heard of things called go-jacks that are supposed to be used by the pros and work great, but of course are astronomically more expensive!

FWIW
Julian

I used to work at a place where they had those, they were as you said, very expensive and I found them clumsy to work with. A floor jack and the normal dollies worked better. (they're also about 4 times as heavy since each one incorporates it's own jack). I wasn't impressed.

1971Series88
03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks fellas....so is the weight limit you need the DISTRIBUTED WEIGHT. Of the vehicle? So with a 4,000lb vehicle you get 4 at 1,000lb each?

Dunno about getting the wife to help:rolleyes:

But I have a 14yo boy who needs to work out. Hehehehe :thumb-up: