PDA

View Full Version : head bolts

englishguy1013
03-02-2012, 05:54 AM
just want to know do i need to use the washers under the heads of the later type head bolts for my 3.5 engine im changing from the steel gaskets to the later type head gaskets ?

mearstrae
03-02-2012, 05:13 PM
No, the composite gasket being a bit thicker doesn't require them. But be careful of the intake manifold alignment the thicker gasket sometimes causes a problem there. Just to put in my 2 cents, I never use the TTY (torque to yield- stretch bolts) bolts that take a weird methods of torquing [that is torque to 20NM (15#) through the torque pattern, then 90 degrees and 90 degrees again]. I like to use ARP head studs for the 215 Buick v-8 they seem to hold better and last longer, and TTY's can only be used once. And my having to service three Rover V-8's makes this a great choice for the infrequency of failure after using studs. Also, I don't put in the lower row of bolts (studs) as using them can lead to head gasket failure, which is why the later engines don't have them. The older 3.5's used standard head bolts that could be reused, but not sure when the change to TTY's began, maybe with the introduction of composite gaskets. Had to think back to changing the gaskets on my '70 3.5, I used the steel gaskets with sealer and a set of studs, that was many years back and they have't been changed since.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S