PDA

View Full Version : No GL4 around here! Options??

Whiterabbit
03-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Was planning to drain/replace the fluids and can't find GL4 anywhere. Trust me,I looked. Did get Lucas 80-90 for the axles but can I use the synthetics (GL5)in the trans and transfer? Thanks all!

ThePhotographer
03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Something like this?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/images/VARIANT/large/66830.jpg

Whiterabbit
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
:) I run Amsoil in my motorcycles. I hate ordering it, the shipping always bites me in the butt. O'Reilly,Nappa,Auto clown,Advance,Tractor suppy,and the local truck stop has ZIPP. They have GL4 in 140wt, that wont leak out the seals but it would feel like I'm dragging an anchor.:rolleyes:

jac04
03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
NAPA has exactly what you are looking for. NAPA # SL24239. If they don't have it, simply request that they order it from their warehouse.

Print this page out and bring it with you:
CRC Sta-Lube 85W-90 GL-4. https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...239_0006410049 (https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=SLRSL24239_0006410049)

Whiterabbit
03-03-2012, 07:31 PM
:thumb-up: Thanks!

disco2hse
03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Shell Spirax S4 TXM 80W

disco2hse
03-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Was planning to drain/replace the fluids and can't find GL4 anywhere. Trust me,I looked. Did get Lucas 80-90 for the axles but can I use the synthetics (GL5)in the trans and transfer? Thanks all!

Too many unspecified variables.

What are you running?

What is the gearbox? Are the diffs OEM?

What is your average running temp in the gearbox and diffs?

What is your maximum temp in them?

How often do you exceed 70ºC, and for how long?

Do you pull heavy loads? For how long?

Do you do beach driving, or similar? How often?

Do you have diff lockers? Especially, do you have Detroit Diff Lockers or similar?

These all are factors that can help you decide whether or not to avoid GL5 oils. In any case, unless you have a limited slip diff, do not use hypoid LSD oils.

jac04
03-04-2012, 07:59 AM
In any case, unless you have a limited slip diff, do not use hypoid LSD oils.
What is the reasoning behind this? It's usually a good idea to stay away from oils containing LS additives in a transmission because of the syncros, but there shouldn't be any reason why you can't use it in a non-limited slip diff.

disco2hse
03-04-2012, 08:55 PM
What is the reasoning behind this? It's usually a good idea to stay away from oils containing LS additives in a transmission because of the syncros, but there shouldn't be any reason why you can't use it in a non-limited slip diff.

How it was explained to me is that the compounds in oils for LSDs provide for wear (i.e. slipperiness) but in the diffs and transfer box (especially) the kind of extreme pressures found there fracture the compounds quickly, leaving little or no lubricating effect.

Whiterabbit
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
:popcorn:
Oh lord, the oil debate..............Let's talk about religion and politics next?:nono:
It's a 1978 MOD 109 with 65,000 miles on it,don't drive on the beach or road, I've got 2 miles on it so it didn't quite get up to working temp. It's now on jack stands waiting for a brake cyl,fuel pump rebuild kit, PCV rebuild) and a hub seal.
Picked up some Lucas 80-90 for the axles and ordering Sta-Lube from Nappa Monday. I'm assuming the axles(dana 60 rear LR front) are open with no factory locker or limited slip.

disco2hse
03-04-2012, 10:46 PM
:popcorn:
Oh lord, the oil debate..............Let's talk about religion and politics next?:nono:
It's a 1978 MOD 109 with 65,000 miles on it,don't drive on the beach or road, I've got 2 miles on it so it didn't quite get up to working temp. It's now on jack stands waiting for a brake cyl,fuel pump rebuild kit, PCV rebuild) and a hub seal.
Picked up some Lucas 80-90 for the axles and ordering Sta-Lube from Nappa Monday. I'm assuming the axles(dana 60 rear LR front) are open with no factory locker or limited slip.

It's not so much a debate issue as one that has a large number of possible variables. In the end, there is no one right answer to fit every scenario anymore because vehicles have so many metals and combinations.

That being said, from what you've said, I would say that you don't need to worry GL4/GL5 differences since the problems only ensue in yellow metals at temperatures that exceed 70-80ºC and become critical at 90-100ºC. The diffs are fine in any case.

The thing you need to make certain of is that the oil is suitable for EP. That's all.

:)

I Leak Oil
03-05-2012, 06:53 AM
There acutally is a correct answer and that is to use what the vehicle manufacturer specs out for it. You can't go wrong with that.

I still use the CRC GL4 found at NAPA. Easy to find, cheap, what is recommended. No debate, no what if....

On the other hand I'm not worried if I put GL5 in the diff if that's all that's available. These aren't Ferrari's and would probably run for a long time using the old bananna and sawdust trick.:eek:

Whiterabbit
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
OK, cool. I just thought that the GL5 had the "EP" additives that were gonna' eat the yellow metals up in the trans and transfer case. I see alot of GL4,5 oil around but just had my concerns. The truck will get alot of road time though so I'm sure it's gonna' get hot.
Can I dump some "Lucas oil additive" in with the GL4? I've had great results with it in all my other older vehicles.
Thanks all.

TedW
03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
OK, cool. I just thought that the GL5 had the "EP" additives that were gonna' eat the yellow metals up in the trans and transfer case. I see alot of GL4,5 oil around but just had my concerns. The truck will get alot of road time though so I'm sure it's gonna' get hot.
Can I dump some "Lucas oil additive" in with the GL4? I've had great results with it in all my other older vehicles.
Thanks all.

Our hosts have sold Amsoil gear oil for years, and specified it as appropriate for all series trucks. IIRC modern synthetic GL5's don't have the yellow metal issues that the dino oils do. But I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong on this point.

As of this moment I have had no problems after 20 years of running Amsoil and Mobil1 gear lubes.

jac04
03-05-2012, 01:04 PM
IIRC modern synthetic GL5's don't have the yellow metal issues that the dino oils do. But I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong on this point.
Many oil companies have changed over to using non-active sulfur to address nonferrous metal attack issues. However, I've never seen a bottle of GL-5 designate active or non-active sulfur in the EP additive package. Some GL-5 oils state that they are formulated to be noncorrosive to bronze and other yellow metals. I think there may also be a tie between the MT-1 rating and non-active sulfer - can't remember for sure.

ThePhotographer
03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
FYI:
I realize you have decided to order the lube at NAPA/other automotive supply store, but for any others - we have just ordered the GL4 fluid(I'm flushing and refilling my transmission) and it should be in stock soon. Cheers