PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 radiator shroud / cowl

john connelly
03-05-2012, 08:31 AM
1972-series 3 - 88. My rig came with electric cooling fan mounted on the outboard side of the radiator- no mechanical fan or shroud installed. Experience higher then normal temps on summer days during highway speeds. just installed a metal fan on the front pulley and now experiencing much better cooling with no effect on power. Question- do i really need the shroud installed? If so were can i locate an original one. any advice would be great. john

TedW
03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi John:

FWIW I have been running your same setup for years (electric pusher fan, no shroud, no mechanical fan), and with no cooling problems at all. My point is that you may have a cooling issue unrelated to your fan setup.

crankin
03-05-2012, 08:49 AM
It's not really necessary to run a shroud. However, it will help the cooling that much more. So, if you are towing, hill calming, or running at higher speeds and notice that you are running hot, than the shroud might fix that.

I ran an electric fan for a few weeks. I didn't really care for it that much. But, others have and love it.

rejeep
03-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi John:

FWIW I have been running your same setup for years (electric pusher fan, no shroud, no mechanical fan), and with no cooling problems at all. My point is that you may have a cooling issue unrelated to your fan setup.

agreed

Whiterabbit
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
For what it's worth.
If your timing/ignition is off, you'll run hot.
Carb running lean, you'll run hot.
Thermostat stuck or PO put a "winter" one in, you'll run hot.
Radiator gunked up or plugged, you'll run hot.
Blown head gasket, you'll run hot.
At highway speeds tells me your running full throttle. If all is right with the truck the electric fan is more than enough at speed. The air blowing through it will keep it cool. An electric fan is great for slow stop and go driving and it's pretty much just along for the ride at highway speeds.
WARNING! I'm by no means a "Rover Guru" just have owned alot of old cars and trucks.:)

I Leak Oil
03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
No, you don't need the shroud but as stated earlier, it makes it more efficient.
Perhaps a stupid question but is you're electric fan a pusher like it should be?

john connelly
03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Electric Fan is a pusher- Agree with whiterrabbit. going to leave both fans on. Can not hurt to have redundant systems just in case the electric fan craps out. a overheated engine = trouble. Can any point me in the right direction on an original shroud/cowl set up. thanks for all your input. john

I Leak Oil
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-842-cowling-shrouds.aspx

john connelly
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
i by all my parts from the host. i was looking for original equipment to keep the rig as stock as possible. RN only has the proline line for this product. thanks john

SafeAirOne
03-05-2012, 06:41 PM
i by all my parts from the host. i was looking for original equipment to keep the rig as stock as possible. RN only has the proline line for this product. thanks john

Not so sure that electric pusher is stock. Or an electric pusher with an engine-driven tractor. You're going to have to remove that electric fan to keep the rig as stock as possible. Then you'll have to find a Rover-manufactured bent tin shroud and fit it.

I'm sure the proline piece of bent tin will look and function exactly the same as one that rolled out of the folding plant in the UK 40 years ago.

TedW
03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Not so sure that electric pusher is stock. Or an electric pusher with an engine-driven tractor. You're going to have to remove that electric fan to keep the rig as stock as possible. Then you'll have to find a Rover-manufactured bent tin shroud and fit it.

I'm sure the proline piece of bent tin will look and function exactly the same as one that rolled out of the folding plant in the UK 40 years ago.

My 1970 came with a plastic shroud /cowling - and a small metal guard around the top.

SafeAirOne
03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
My 1970 came with a plastic shroud /cowling - and a small metal guard around the top.

Yeah, mine probably did too. I threw it out so long ago I can't remember. Reminds me that I bought a replacement shroud off a member here a few months ago that I've still got to go pick up.

msggunny
03-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah, mine probably did too. I threw it out so long ago I can't remember. Reminds me that I bought a replacement shroud off a member here a few months ago that I've still got to go pick up.

Its still in my shed...