PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leak, stud replacement

cinelliguy
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi to all,

New to the forum. New, 3 month owner of a 1969 109, 2.25L. I had/have an exhaust leak and during repair effort, I have snapped off the center top location exhaust stud. See attached image.

Question is, can anyone give me the length measurement for that stud? What I have left is 42mm, so if I can get the real overall length then I will know better what I have to do by way of get that last bit out of the head.

Thanks
Guy

cinelliguy
03-07-2012, 08:58 AM
No answers from the group, I understand. Not like everyone has studs laying around for measurement.

I ordered a full set of studs, so I will get my measurement that way. I will post the final answer when they come in and I start the project.

~ Guy

LaneRover
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
It happens to us regulars too occasionally (no responses)

Broken studs seem to happen all the time:D

I had a truck where every time I changed the exhaust downpipe I'd break a stud, other trucks where the bolts always came out just fine.

Best of luck!

masonater
03-07-2012, 10:47 AM
I know its not the best advice but i just said the heck with it and bought a new exhaust manifold, studs, and down pipe. I tried drilling out 2 broken studs of the 3 but the flange surface was so pitted and rusty. i just chucked it and spent 160 bucks for new stuff.

anyway i was staring at a bag of the studs reading this post so i measured one for you. I got overall 44.6mm. Hope this helps you out

tmckeon88
03-07-2012, 10:57 AM
There are companies that offer stainless hardware for the exhaust manifold, which can make the next disassembly easier. I replaced my exhaust manifold about 4 years ago and took the opportunity to replace all the mounting studs with stainless. I little research and a well-stocked hardware store and you might be able to get many of the studs locally. The threading is standard, I think- someone correct me if I'm wrong! I also used brass nuts to secure the downpipe to the manifold, but stainless would work there too. Be generous with the anti-seize compound when you reassemble.

LR Max
03-07-2012, 02:21 PM
If I remember correctly, its a standard sized exhaust stude. NAPA usually has them in stock, as well as different length ones. Since they are cheap, just go buy a few of em. Heck even get an extended one so its a little easier.

cinelliguy
03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
"masonater" ~ thanks buddy. Looks like I have just the tip still in the hole. "tmckeon88" thank you too! Looking for stainless studs tomorrow!

tmckeon88
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
No problem- I bought the set of stainless exhaust fixing hardware from British Northwest Land Rover, but the sizes can be sources locally. As I recall it was a bear to get them all back in because the ones under the manifold are very inaccessible once the intake/exhaust manifolds are back in place. I did a lot of blind contortions and mixtures of sockets and extensions to reach them and even then turned about 5 degrees at a time. Months later on I noticed a couple of studs/bolts had fallen out! Not usually a problem with manifold studs. But I'm confident that with the antiseize on there I can take it apart again. There's a gasket between the intake/exhaust manifold you should take the opportunity to renew as well.

Tom