PDA

View Full Version : Distributor...

martindktm
03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Hello all,
I have already post a picture of my vaccuum inverted distributor here...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lQW9ZCnNLjE/TbM7HWWBU8I/AAAAAAAAE0w/MlxkE1xYkSc/s800/IMG_1526.JPG

I would like to install the right one since my distributor was needed because of canadian emission requirement and was intend to work with some nowhere to be found gizmo stuff. So its not working good and I need another one with the vaccuum on the good side.

I was looking at our host proline distributor that replaces the original one. Rover north told me that you can put original rover cap and distributor arm but you need to use specific point to it. So do you guy's/girls think that I could install a pertronix kit in the proline distributor enven if they use different points compare to the original distributor??

Im worried that as they use different points that the pertronix may not fit. But the pertronix is only for futur project...

So if no one can tell me if it could fit I would ask if any of you have a good original lucas distributor with the vaccuum on the opposite way of mine laying around for sale or trade for some gizmo I may have.

Martin

Nium
03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I haven't used these guys so can't vouch for them but have always been interested in getting them to rebuild a dizzy. If you use them post up what you think, please.

http://advanceddistributors.com/index.htm

PavementEnds
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I had the same issue with my distributor because it was also missing the rest of its emissions control system (removed by the PO) and I could never get the engine tuned correctly. I had switched over from points to a Pertronix ignition system. I looked at the Proline distributor but seem to remember that I could not use the Pertronix ignition system that I had with the Proline. So, I decided to go with a new Pertronix distributor (D176600). It plugged right in and tuned up just fine, with the tuning made lots easier using the MityVac. Now the engine runs great. A bit more $ than the Proline, not but that much when you factor in a new Pertronix kit if, that is, you decide to add that to the new Proline distributor.

jcutler
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I've used Advanced Distributors for an MGB and TR4. They did an outstanding job - came back looking like new. In fact, I boxed up my SII dizzy last weekend to send to them. Highly recommended, no connection to the business.

martindktm
03-06-2012, 08:19 PM
I haven't used these guys so can't vouch for them but have always been interested in getting them to rebuild a dizzy. If you use them post up what you think, please.

http://advanceddistributors.com/index.htm

They have nice product. But I dont want to rebuilt mine. Because mine work the oppsite way of what it should do. It's getting full advance when theres no vaccuum (full throttle). And no advance at all at full vaccuum. As soon as I press the throttle too much it detonate all the time and must run it with 91 octane fuel. And its impossible to time it at the recommended degree...Or the engine is not running right.

I need a distributor with the vaccum on the oppsite side.

martindktm
03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I had the same issue with my distributor because it was also missing the rest of its emissions control system (removed by the PO) and I could never get the engine tuned correctly. I had switched over from points to a Pertronix ignition system. I looked at the Proline distributor but seem to remember that I could not use the Pertronix ignition system that I had with the Proline. So, I decided to go with a new Pertronix distributor (D176600). It plugged right in and tuned up just fine, with the tuning made lots easier using the MityVac. Now the engine runs great. A bit more $ than the Proline, not but that much when you factor in a new Pertronix kit if, that is, you decide to add that to the new Proline distributor.

Thanks for the information. Now I know that the Pertronix don't fit the proline. I may not install a pertronix ever. But I want to have the possibility to do so. Never really had trouble with points. Just some maintenance once a year and your done.

My problem is really about timing advance that I can't have right because of this opposite distributor. The proline looks good but with what I know now I will try to find an original distributor that have the vacuum thing on the opposite side of mine.

martindktm
03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I've used Advanced Distributors for an MGB and TR4. They did an outstanding job - came back looking like new. In fact, I boxed up my SII dizzy last weekend to send to them. Highly recommended, no connection to the business.

As I told to Nium my trouble is that I don't have the right distributor for the setup I have now on my 88''. But is good to know a place that does good job. I may need them someday. I will note their web adress.

martindktm
03-08-2012, 06:50 AM
So anyone have a distributor that have his vaccuum gizmo on the opposite side of mine and that he would like to get rid of?

jac04
03-08-2012, 09:15 AM
George at Rovers Down South has brand new Lucas 45D distributors available. I bought one and installed a Pertronix Ignitor.

Kiloengineer
03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Jac04, can you recommend a good source for the Pertronix? Seems like prices vary and they are pretty expensive. Thanks.

jac04
03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
^I forgot exactly where I got it, but I think it was either Summit or Jegs. Their prices are usually good.
Use the catalog on the Pertronix site to find the p/n you need, then start internet shopping.

martindktm
03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
So anyone has an old distributor for sale or trade?