PDA

View Full Version : MOD operators manuals??

Whiterabbit
03-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Anyone seen any MOD operators manuals? I have a 78 seriesIII 109 and for the life of me haven't quite figgured out the brake test switch and the big multi light knob. Trying to figgure out how to get the dash lights to come on and such.:confused: (yea, laugh it up!)
I've got the workshop manual and parts book but they don't cover the MOD stuff.
Thanks all!

I Leak Oil
03-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Our host has MOD manuals. I used to have one with my '71 ex, was handy.

antichrist
03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
You might try searching www.sribd.com

In the short term, here's the answer to your two "how to" questions.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84323242
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84323237

Les Parker
03-07-2012, 10:57 AM
We reprint these to order :-

1. 608179 3/4 Tonne Series III Handbook.

:)

derekchace
03-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Les,
Can you reprint a the 101 stuff?

greenmeanie
03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Anyone seen any MOD operators manuals? I have a 78 seriesIII 109 and for the life of me haven't quite figgured out the brake test switch and the big multi light knob. Trying to figgure out how to get the dash lights to come on and such.:confused: (yea, laugh it up!)
I've got the workshop manual and parts book but they don't cover the MOD stuff.
Thanks all!

Brake test switch is just attached to the PDWA switch. Its a pretty naff system to warn you that you have lost pressure in one circuit of a dual circuit system. The idea is you get in each morning and put the ignition on and as squaddies like to break things you press the switch. It tells you the bulb still works or in the case of the squaddie it tells them they haven't broken it yet. Now drive it. If you lose pressure in one circuit it will light up and if you haven't crashed intoa tree/hedge/bus stop/ BMW or something else you will know you have a problem.

6way light switch:
- Stop and turn lights are on in all positions except to the right for the convoy lights.
We'll presume you know what off does.
Turned to the right.
- 1st position is convoy light.
- 2nd positon is convoy and side lights
Turned to the left.
- 1st position is tail and number plate lights.
- 2nd position is side, tail and number plate lights
- 3rd position is head, side, tail and number plate lights.

Typically for safety's sake you only really use left 2nd and 3rd positions which emulate a normal car.

Panel lights are usually on a seperate switch.
If you have an IR switch it will turn everythin goff other than the headlights. The relay will burn out and fail with modern lights turning everything off. Wire round it if it hasn't been done already.

antichrist
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Brake test switch is just attached to the PDWA switch.It's also wired to the booster and pedal travel switch. Really all the button on the dash does is test the light so you know it's working.

Les Parker
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Derek,

I think I may have an original !

:)

Whiterabbit
03-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks!
The lettering was/is worn off the plate at the knob so it was a guessing game. Turn knob,walk around truck. Turn knob,walk around truck. You get the idea.:rolleyes:
Les, I like the idea of having a hard copy of the handbook! I have the civilian owners book but it doesn't cover little things that were MOD specific. I need to work up a parts order here soon. About done with the inspection. Not as bad as I thought. Just minor things. WHEW!

LR Max
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Buy the ex-MOD book from RN. That is what I did. Really helps you with the MOD modifications and what not.

Also instructs you on the proper way to disable the vehicle with the pick axe :D.

To answer your question about the lights, To turn on the lights, turn counterclockwise all the way. Turns on all the lights. To turn off the lights, turn clockwise until the marker-indent-thingie is pointing straight up.

If you have the marker-indent-thingie pointing clockwise from straight up, it actually DISABLES lights on the vehicle. So don't go there. Otherwise you'll be like, "Why aren't my blinkers working!!??" and then you'll freak out and try to tear apart the wires.

Or at least I did. Learn from my mistakes.

ca_surveyor
03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Here you go. I needed to remember what to do, before I quit using the swith and rewired in to something more traditional.

greenmeanie
03-07-2012, 04:59 PM
It's also wired to the booster and pedal travel switch. Really all the button on the dash does is test the light so you know it's working.

I'll confess to working off 101 electrical system knowledge where it only connects to the PDWA. The SIII 109 also provides a servo boost loss switch but I don't know where you are getting the pedal travel switch from.

Circuit diagram (http://d1ed2vcldue1cv.cloudfront.net/landy/mil/lfig146.gif)
Key (http://d1ed2vcldue1cv.cloudfront.net/landy/mil/l146key.gif)

Whiterabbit
03-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I do think there is 3 sensors. One on top of the brake linkage housing,one on the vac booster and one on the spliter on the frame rail. I think the bulb is out. Pressed it and no light. LOL!
Got to order that book.:)
Thanks all!

greenmeanie
03-08-2012, 12:54 AM
The one threaded into the top of the pedal tower is the brake light switch. Press pedal and brake lights come on. Per the diagram (Item 41) it is not linked to the test switch (Item 38).

antichrist
03-08-2012, 06:17 AM
...I don't know where you are getting the pedal travel switch from.
You're right, my memory was confusing my SII warning light circuit with another vehicle.

ghettoct
05-30-2012, 09:16 AM
les,

any chance RN will be printing the manuals again?

cedryck
05-31-2012, 09:23 AM
I have the six way, and had to use some "white out" to mark the position of the groove in the top of the switch, I think it should be white anyway, The convoy setting utilizes the under the chassis illumination device. Secret cool!! I believe secret convoy kills all lights,

Les Parker
05-31-2012, 10:54 AM
RN has access to # 607189 3/4 Ton Series III User Handbook @ $35.75

Let me know if you need one.