PDA

View Full Version : SIIA 88" staling at idle

tmckeon88
03-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi everyone-

I'm having a problem with my 1969 IIA, 2.2.5 petrol engine, Weber single barrel carb. It starts and drives fine, but just recently it has been stalling at idle. For example if I come up to a stop sign and shift into neutral the revs will drove right down to almost 0 and then it will sputter out. I can restart it, or bump start it if I'm rolling, and it runs fine and accelerates and so forth. Sometimes it holds its idle fine. I'm thinking- some dirt or grit in the carb? Should I put in a new fuel filter and clean the fuel pump bowl? It's due for a tune up but it's running and starting fine otherwise, so it can be that badly out of tune. In the past it has idled very steadily.

Any thoughts would be welcome -

Tom

cinelliguy
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
I had a simular situation, I have Solex set-up. I pulled the jet and blew out the jet and the hole, then ran a can of B12 fuel system cleaner in the next tank. Problem went away. Probably a dirty jet in my case.

tmckeon88
03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I'll try that. I definitely had some grit in the carb last winter and cleaning helped- there are a couple of little screen filters in the Weber. I use an inline filter as well and it's a year old.

Thanks,
Tom