PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel to column nut threads stripped

masonater
03-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Anyone know what size die would be needed to chase the threads on the end of steering column? I managed to destroy the threads on the nut and the shaft needs to be chased. No stores on island have any tap or dies that large (3/4 I think?) Im assuming its 3/4 fine thread? thoughts? I seem to remember a thread involving this a while back but no luck searching.

thanks, mason

rdsrover
03-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't know, but I know I have repaired threads on large bolts etc. by using a thread file. It has 4 sides and each side has a different file pattern. You can get metric or SAE and you'd buy it from a better tool shop.

masonater
03-07-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't know, but I know I have repaired threads on large bolts etc. by using a thread file. It has 4 sides and each side has a different file pattern. You can get metric or SAE and you'd buy it from a better tool shop.

Ive used those before and they are great. However, that is one more item not available on island. My plan is to hit up some local mechanics, im sure someone has one i could use for 10 minutes. It may be time to invest in some new tools, those things come in handy a lot. thanks anyway

bkreutz
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I've had good luck with one of these http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=thread+repair+tool&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3882229204729323911&sa=X&ei=5iBYT9TuHZLciQKqwoigCw&ved=0CHwQ8wIwAA , I realize it probably won't help since you have no source for this at the moment (unless one of the mechanics you mention has one)

masonater
03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I called up my old high school auto shop teacher and he has some dies that are large enough to chase the threads on the column and thread files. I think it is 3/4 x 28 fine thread for the nut, which i stripped smooth. Im going to bring it to the school tomorrow and see what i can come up with. will report.